What Does That Switch Operate

RickNB

There is a regular 120V household type switch in the panel just inside the door of my 2800RLS not marked and another marked for the Hot Water heater. Well we found out by trial and error that the switch (unmarked one) supplies power to the 2 outside receptacles and 1 inside on the bottom of the top cabinets by the sink so if you have your patio lights on and your coffee pot is plugged into that top inside plug dont turn off your patio lights outside or you coffee is going to get cold .

We had been concerned by what we considered high propane usage since getting this new Sundance and asked the service rep to look at the possibility of a small leak today while he was here doing some other items. He had no more than connected his pressure test guage than it dropped and we herd the fridge click at the same time indicating that the fridge was starting. Why is the fridge staring on propane? We are plugged into shore power and always are when at home and the fridge is in the auto position. We keep food in our fridge all the time. Anyway after some checking by the service rep it was found that the receptacle behind the fridge that it is plugged into to get its 120V is connected to the switch (the unmarked one) thus if this switch is in the off position then the fridge runs on propane. So when you turn off your patio lights at night you also switch your fridge to propane now isnt that a novel idea . Because we normaly have the switch in the off position our fridge has been running almost totaly on propane thus our high usage and that stuff isnt cheap these days:mad: .

How could something like this happen ? Was it designed this way ?

Almost every day I find something else on this unit that makes me shake my head .
Please dont get me wrong we like our Sundance but it has been a short marriage (3 months) and the bugging I am afraid is going to cause a break up. What will we find tomorrow? or after the warrenty is expired. The items are all to do with poor craftsmanship. When I see things like this in electrical I start to get a little worried. And when we looked under the bed to day to check the slide adjustment we found the 2 wires going to the drive motor were bare wire twisted togeather and not covered with anything and about 1/4 inch apart just a short circuit looking to happen the next time we go to put out the slide like at 10:00 oclock at night in the dark and its raining and the slide is half out. Items like this show a real disregard for there jobs by the people that are building these things. It is one thing thing to install bad components but when you install a perfectly good item with no concern for the install what is that?

Enough of my ranting but you might want to check if your fridge is connected to that switch.:confused:

Bob120

Thanks RickNG, you just saved me a lot of time. I was curious about this unmarked switch and was planning on trying to figure out what it did this weekend. I have turned it off and on various times and of course nothing ever happened. Mine is in the up position, which I assume is on, and the fridge does run on electric until I disconnect. We have yet to take our unit on a trip, so I have not had an opportunity to figure out the various little tricks.
I’m certain there is a reason for designing it this way. Perhaps someone from the factory will enlighten us.
Off to Cape Cod next week. We should provide a good opportunity to figure a few things out.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

To Ricknb
The unmarked switch is for the outside receptecles. I do not believe the refer should be on that circuit. Post the question to Scott in the
"ask the factory" thread. I will be in Elkhart on Monday picking up a Bighorn and I will ask the tech for you while I am there. You will get an answer either way.

jbeletti

Gent's,

I passed this to Scott via email earlier today so that he can check with the plant on it. Hope to see a response here in a day or two.

Jim

Scott

I've got to tell you that's a first. But anything is obviously possible. I sent our electrical engineer to all the lines to make sure this kind of thing was only a fluke and not happening on a regular basis. He reported back that he could not find this duplicated on any line, so that made me feel a little better. Obviously, if your switch is hooked up the you say, it is in error and needs to be repaired. Contact your dealer to get it in to be serviced.

ST

RickNB

Thanks Scott

Scott thanks for the reply but can you tell me if that switch is only for the outside plugs as mine also operates one of the plugs under the cabinets.

My dealer is aware of the problem and will be correcting the situation but I dont think they are clear on just what the switch should operate.

Thanks

Rick

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

To RickNB
As I said you would get an answer. Hope your dealer gets the situation sorted out. Good LUck and hope to see you at a rally one day.

RickNB

Thanks for checking nucleophile

Glad to see they got the wiring right on your unit. I hope everybody seen the second problem in my original post as it doesnt appear that Scott did. Maybe this should have been posted in Questions to the factory forum.

jarebe

I have to agree with you RickNB.We have a 2007 3200RBH, and I can't believe the poor workmanship in this thing.We thought we were getting a quality unit from the way it is written up on there web site, but I truly beleive this is nothing more than an entrylevel unit with some frills to make it look good.We have a pretty long list of things that needed repair because of poor workmanship, and are right now trying to get an answer as to why the rear exterior access door at the rear bunks is narrower than the wall itself. We can actually see the aluminum framing of the camper .I think they put the wrong door and doorframe on.It makes me a little scared as to the quality behind the walls and what is going to turn up a year or so down the road( if we keep it that long.)