Got a electrical problem....

WVUFan

.....because I'm stupid!:mad:

As I was dewinterizing my camper, I inadvertenly hooked the battery up backwards. As soon as I touched the negative terminal and saw a couple sparks, I knew what I did. Anyhow, I reconnected the battery, and then hooked up AC power....to find that none of my AC powered equipment works. I had no tripped breakers, no bad fuses, shut everything down, turned off/on all breakers......hooked AC and DC power back up....still no microwave, TV, etc..

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

2010augusta

If you connect the battery backwards, the 3 fuses on the converter will most likely be blown, but you will have to crawl into the basement to get to them.

As for the AC stuff you got me stumped too.

jnbhobe

does any of your DC stuff work? There are 3 fuses in the converter,don't know what they would have to do with AC but check them. Check your ground-fault receptacales also.your tv and micro may be on that circut

RollingHome

WVUFan, Go easy on your self... Ya just proved you're a human, you'll do it many times again :) Good news, all is not lost. The 2 problems are unrelated. First make sure the 120VAC circuit is energized with a tester. If you are powering your RV with a standard dulpex and cheater adapters you can do this with a corded lamp, drill or radio. I suspect you have an AC breaker or GFCI off somewhere and it may be outside the RV and in your house. Do that & get back.

WVUFan

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I ran back to the campground where I took my 5th wheel (I don't keep it at home but at a local campgound about 20 min. away). The three fuses all check out okay (my first trip to the "basement" with this camper....wow!!). I think that reinforces Tom's belief that the AC problem and the battery mishap is unrelated. Tom, I intended to check the outlet at my camp spot, but found that my Fluke meter doesn't work well with a dead battery. Anyhow, the campground owner is going to verify the power supply tomorrow. I have a 3670RL....there is one GFI in the bathroom that wasn't tripped. I couldn't find another anywhere else......?

RollingHome

I think you'll find the RV park tripped a breaker and the problem is their's not yours. Just gotta blow the spring cob-webs out... soon you'll be a happy camper opps sorry, happy RV'er. :)

WVUFan

Tom,
You were right on the money!! They are having problems with an underground line that services the portion of the campground that I'm in. I was the first one to hook up my camper this season, so they weren't already aware of it. The owner is thinking that it was damaged while cutting down some large trees in the vacinity of the buried line.

Thx again.

RollingHome

Glad everything worked out for ya. It's hard to trouble shoot over the web and at distance, kinda go out on a limb and hope ya don't look foolish. Next time you'll be giving me the helping hand. Did you get a new battery for the Fluke ? Never know when you'll need it. I was glad you said you have one. Some of the junky DVOM's scare me, especially when folks trust their life on what they indicate. Man, anybody is worth more then $ 8.95 Yikes ! Tally Ho