Adding solid master bedroom door to Elkridge 35QSQB

madst3215

Is there an interior door with glass in the middle that has a blind built inside it that can fit in the hallway leading to the master bedroom. The Elkridge 35QSQB has an accordian privacy door but gives no privacy at all. I've seen other RV models with this type of door. Does Heartland have a door similar to this and can it replace the existing accordian door. If there is, what would be the best way to have it installed so it doesn't look like a high school wood shop project? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi madst3215,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed.

I don't know if someone has made the mod your looking for, but someone will jump in soon with some ideas.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

RonDay

Just put one in my 2011 BC 3250TS. Had accordian door and now models from factory have a solid door. Built frame and mounted to walls, then installed door. Looks as good as a factory job. Didn't stain it cherry, but painted it light tan to match cabinets (Lowes matched color). Much more privacy and much quieter to close while wife is still sleeping in morning. I am a retired high school shop teacher (so mine may look like a high school shop project) and have see many quality jobs come out of the shop. Ron Day

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
RonDay - can ya take some pictures please? Would love to see the mods.

RonDay

I'll try to add pictures, but I think I have to have two posts before I can add attachments. Not sure how I do this but will figure it out. Ron Day

jimtoo

Hi RonDay,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks RonDay - Looks great. Question - when you travel, do you leave it closed or do you latch tie it open against the wall/window?

jimtoo

The door installation looks great. The only thing I an wondering is the window that the door looks like it opens and blocks, is that the emergency escape window?

RonDay

I can't remember, but I don't think its an emergercy window (the RV is in Virginia waiting for me when we head south). We store it there so that I don't haul it thru ice, snow or salt from upstate New York when we head to Florida after Christmas. I don't think it blocks as much of the window as the factory install does. We leave it closed when traveling, I don't think it would make much difference. Ron Day

jimtoo

I can't remember, but I don't think its an emergercy window (the RV is in Virginia waiting for me when we head south). We store it there so that I don't haul it thru ice, snow or salt from upstate New York when we head to Florida after Christmas. I don't think it blocks as much of the window as the factory install does. We leave it closed when traveling, I don't think it would make much difference. Ron Day

OK,, I looked at floor plan for your unit,,, and the window at the foot of bed is probably your emergency escape window... got to crawl over the chest (dresser) to fall 8' to the ground. :D But good looking mod...

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Just what I needed, another mod to do. have been talking about doing this since we picked up our new Elk Ridge in April, hate the accordion. probably the first thing to be done in the spring. Thanks for the pic, looks great

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We want to do this mod. Can we have more details, like what you used to make the frame, and what size door and where did you buy your supplies?

RonDay

The door I had in the barn left from some other project, I think it was a 28" door. The frame was of clear pine that the Amish sawmill next door saved for me, I have a planer to dress it to .75 inches. I don't have very much invested as all I bought was hinges, door knob set and a magnetic hold back for holding it open, all from Lowes. My best suggestion is visit your Heartland dealer and take a few measurements and/or pictures. Ron

GM.Chief

We did something similar to this. We installed a 30" bi-fold door. I still need to put some molding along the walls to clean up the look, but it folds up nicely. I then removed the push-button catch from the accordian door and installed it on the new ddor, which holds it in the open position while traveling.