Wanted: Fireplace in our 2011 Big Country 3500RL

Hello,

We have a 2011 BC 3500RL and it did not come with a fireplace. We have cabinets in place where the fireplace would go. Is it possible to have a fireplace installed after the fact? I would prefer to have it done locally (in the northeast) instead of at the factory. Can a dealer/service dept. order and install? How much would it cost me?

Thanks for the info,

Jeff & Tina

ChopperBill

I think this is the size it would take. 26 inch Dimplex if not it was the 30 inch also listed on eBay. I had mine out once and it is a pretty simple deal. See no way a weekend warrior can't do it.

ihsolutions

I ordered my 2011 3670RL this way.

The tech at the factory told me the wire is always run to the fireplace location, regardless.

At the breaker, the wire will be wrapped in red tape but not connected to a breaker. My understanding is you would have to add one.

Provided all this info is accurate, it should be easy and inexpensive to install a fireplace in a Big Horn that doesn't have one. I'm considering it as a future upgrade. I have no doubt I can get a similar unit to what the factory installs for a fraction of the price they charge, if I decide I want one.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The fireplace plugs into a 110 AC outlet. It would not be a hard install if you are handy but it is certainly an easy install for a dealer. We love our fireplace.

B

bwwalczak

When you order the fireplace, make sure you order the trim that attaches to the cabinets in front. This covers up many of the screws, plus makes it look better. Same opening, the cabinet doors cover it when the fireplace is not optioned.

RollingHome

Jeff, If you buy a fireplace try to get a remote for it. I ordered our 2011 3670RL with the fire place. It came without a remote for the fireplace which is dumb... Now I have to get on my hands and knees to use it, I'm almost 60 yo ! With my bad back this is painful and so much easier with a remote. Check around, I'm sure you can find units just as good as the OEM unit. However, I have to say, the one HL picked (Dimplex) is very close to being the real thing as you can get. Maybe Dimplex doesn't make one with a remote... Do your homework and make your decision. Good Luck :) I think you could do the install yourself, if not get a local carpenter to do it. Tom

ChopperBill

Tom, we noticed Dimplex put the controls on the bottom also. Ours has them at the top. Guess Dimplex doesn't realize old f@rts buy these things! Renee will be in charge of the controls. lol. Oh, I tried another brand with the remote. Worthless. Had to be about 6 inches from it to work, besides it didn't look as real as the Dimplex.

jimtoo

Hi Jeff, since the factory answered your question, I moved the post to the open forum so others may comment also without being moderated or approved first.
Jim M

shovelguy

Two different friends of ours, one with a Cardinal, the other with a Cougar, after seeing our fireplace, installed fireplaces in their rigs. One fireplace came from Costco, the other from Lowe's, I don't think either one of them paid more than $250.oo for the fireplace.

Thanks everyone, for the helpful information. We will be working on this over the summer. First priority, however, will be the second AC unit in the bedroom, as we are moving to Key West this Summer!