I R Confused

bar20

My wife and I went looking for trailers today. We looked at the North Trail 21FBS but thought it was too small although it's length is 26'6". The salesman asked if I had thought about a 5th Wheel, which I had not because I thought my box was too short. He showed us the North Trail 24RL which is 26'4". We liked this model.

My TV is a 2008 Lincoln Mark LT p/u, basically a F-150 1/2 ton. It has a 5.5 ft box. 20" wheels and it has the class IV trailer tow package. It says the maximum trailer towing weight is 9000 lbs and a tounge weight of 900 lbs. I think this is for a regular trailer. The GVWR of the truck is 7050 lbs. The GCWR is 14,500 lbs.

The 5th wheel trailers dry weight is 6610 lbs and a GVWR of 11,295 lbs. The other stipulation I have is that I need to put three garbage cans in about every three weeks so I need a 5th wheel hitch that can be removed. I was told by the salesman removable hitches are available. The sales manager said I could use a goose neck hitch.

After some research I see where a goose neck hitch might void the warranty although nothing is mentioned in the North Trail brochure. I am also thinking the truck isn't big enough and the 5.5 box is too short. Since all of my research has been on a TT and not a 5er I just don't know. I also read here if the trucks GVWR and the 5th wheels GVWR exceed the GCWR you could be in deep do do with the authorities.

Any comments to a newbie would be welcomed.

Steve

jimtoo

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure your going to get some answers for your question soon and others ideas and recommendations.

Enjoy the forum and become part of the family.

Jim M

RollingHome

Steve, You are meticulous in you're pre purchase research (wish I was more so), you sound like an engineer ? You are correct in your assumptions. All ya gotta do is make sure you do not exceed legal and stated weights (in your Lincoln manual) and make sure your new unit is under or equal to them. Yeah, you can cheat and squeak and keep an eye in the rear view mirror. However, you want to enjoy your new toy, not wonder if the HWP will zing ya. Buy within your TV (Tow vehicle) limits or get a bigger TV. After many years of RV'ing this is my first HL product so at least you are looking at a winner. We just bought a 3670 RL BH and so far we are impressed with most anything in/on the unit, some problems... but hey, life and RVing ain't perfect either. The folks on this forum are smart, knowledgeable and honest so pick their brain and ask any question you want. Tom

2010augusta

This might help.
f150.JPG

cableman

I have the 24RL and love the unit, We just got back last nght from a weekend trip. I have an f-350 that I pull with and is overkill for this camper. In your situation I don't thnk I would risk it, you will be at the limit of your truck and that is no where to be on long trips. I can relax when I'm driving because my truck will handle this camper with ease. That said, my rig is not close to 11000 that it is said to handle. The hitch I use is a Kurt 16000 and the hitch can be removed although a little heavy. The rails stay in the truck and I take it out in 2 pieces to lighten the load, very easy to do.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I haven't looked up the weights on that rig, but I don't think any 1/2 ton is capable of safely pulling a 5th wheel. Moving it, sure, but beyond that, I'd be scared. What is the pin weight for that model? As for the hitch, there are some models (B&W, I think), that mounts through a hole in the floor of the bed, so you don't have exposed rails. I have a standard 16K Reese in my one-ton. By removing the very large connector pin that holds the head to the base, I can remove it unaided, in two sections. The rails on the floor do not pose much problem for loading. I lay some 2x4's across them with some scrap 3/4" plywood for spacing along their lengths.

Dave012

I think weight is an issue for it, but its really footnote two that Alan highlighted in his post that is most telling. Basically Ford says you can't haul a 5th wheel with that bed size.