Changing to an electric awning on 2008 BH 3670RL

Ellie

We love our "Moose" and were able to take it on a nice long holiday to California this January. It was seldom used until then, and we have had some minor maintenance and warranty issues. Overall, we love this RV, but the manual awning is a real pain to deal with. My husband is well over six feet tall, and he struggles to reach the side arm adjustments when putting out the awning. Is there a recommended brand of electric awning that can be installed? (We were rather shocked to discover that an RV of this caliber came without this option.)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ellie, actually your awning can be converted to electric by your dealer or a Camping World if there is one convenient for you. They sell a kit that will use your existing awning tube and fabric but it replaces the arms. I believe an electric awning is standard on Bighorns now. I know, we have an 07 and have given a lot of thought to changing over to electric.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine came with the electric awning. It is great until the motor fries like ours did (still under warranty). Fortunately, the awning was in the retracted mode when it decided not to work. If it's extended, you have to loosen a screw on the motor end of the tube while someone else prevents the awning from slapping back against the trailer. The spring is still active, even if the motor isn't. If you've ever lost the grip on a manual awning after releasing the lock, you know what happens. I keep an awning rod and strap on hand...just in case.

Hi, I had a Dometic 9100 electric awning installed at Camping World and I have to say it is by far the best investment I ever made as fas as any after market item I have purchased. Now I don't have to worry about rolling up the awning before going to work which I sometimes do, my wife has no problem doing it. Very wise investment. Camping does have them on sale at a very good price. Hope this helps.

jgallego

We used the carefree kit to convert ours to electric. We also have the wind sensors which will automatically bring it in when the wind hits a certain speed. They are great to operate. Push a button to put it out push a button to bring it back in.

Jaime

Ellie

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! This is my first venture into a forum of any kind, and I am delighted to receive helpful information for my husband's next project! I will check out the local Heartland RV place and see if they stock this conversion kit. Otherwise it may have to wait until our next trip south where Camping World reins supreme!

Ellie, actually your awning can be converted to electric by your dealer or a Camping World if there is one convenient for you. They sell a kit that will use your existing awning tube and fabric but it replaces the arms. I believe an electric awning is standard on Bighorns now. I know, we have an 07 and have given a lot of thought to changing over to electric.

Ellie

Okay...I have some experience with a vicious home windowblind spring, so I can only imagine how far one could fly if the awning spring let loose! I am hoping to upgrade to that electric awning so that we can avoid losing the entire contraption in one of our sudden gusts of prairie "breeze". I have seen anemometers wired into awnings to retract it automatically if needed. Do you have any experience with that? Thank you so much for your speedy reply to my questions. I will be learning a lot from this forum!

ChopperBill

The rain took down our 3055 awning and we put up a Carefree Eclipse electric. Great Awning! We ordered ours with acrylic canvas instead of the common vinyl. Looks great and water drys out faster. It had an outside switch on one of the support arms so you can put it in and out when you are outside. Going to miss that awning!

dmh5514

We have an electric awning and I love it but for some reason when you are inside the trailer it sounds like it is bouncing against the side. I think I am tightening it properly but not sure. Any suggestions?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Currently our A&E Weather Pro awning is malfunctioning. It extends fine but when we put it in it stops about 3/4 of the way, and then will start again after about 1 minute. I believe there is a thermal cutoff in the motor and for some reason the motor cuts out. I think the motor is going out. It used to work great and has been getting progressively worse for the last 6 months. Luckily we still have 1 week left on our manufacturers warranty.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Ray...got any info on this conversion kit? Can't find anything on Camping World's website...I'd LOVE to get rid of this manual unit.