Michelin XPS Ribs Not Enough?

Yianni

I have a 2010 Cyclone 3010 with 7000 lb. axles. I want to replace the factory Towmasters with Michelin LT23585R16's before we head out on long trips this Summer, but after some research I realize the Towmasters I currently have are rated at a max of 3500 lbs. and the X Ribs are rated at 3042. I'm assuming I'd have to replace the rims if I wanted to get Goodyears for the 110 psi but I really don't want to do that and I'm not sure what they are rated lb wise.
I have not seen anyone ask about replacing tires on a Cyclone so I'm not sure if I have to stay with an ST for the load rating although I'd prefer going to an LT.
Thanks for any help!

On edit I found the Goodyear G614 RST is rated at 3750 lbs. So I assume this is my only option but how do I know if my wheels are rated for them?

Last edited:

jnbhobe

The wheel rating should be stamped on the back side of the wheel. If your tires are rated at 3500# I'd bet your wheels are rated at 3750# In my opinion the GY G614 is the only way to go. Jon

porthole

Retired
Louis - I could not find the pressure when I looked on my wheels. But the wheel shape (5 spokes) seems to mean they are only 80 psi wheels. If they are capable, you also need to check the valve stems, as the 110 rated stems are different.

But, it does seem as though the tires currently on our toy haulers do not have the problems that were so prevalent in the previous models. The 2010 models had upgraded tires and wheels.

The best and least expensive option would have been a Goodyear upgrade when you ordered. But I tried, and although it is an option on the other lines, I could not convince anyone I wanted this option.

My tires look good and I hope I am not jinxing myself here, but I am going to stick with them this year. First trip is 500 miles one way next week, we'll see.

Yianni

Louis - I could not find the pressure when I looked on my wheels. But the wheel shape (5 spokes) seems to mean they are only 80 psi wheels. If they are capable, you also need to check the valve stems, as the 110 rated stems are different.

But, it does seem as though the tires currently on our toy haulers do not have the problems that were so prevalent in the previous models. The 2010 models had upgraded tires and wheels.

The best and least expensive option would have been a Goodyear upgrade when you ordered. But I tried, and although it is an option on the other lines, I could not convince anyone I wanted this option.

My tires look good and I hope I am not jinxing myself here, but I am going to stick with them this year. First trip is 500 miles one way next week, we'll see.

Thanks Duane,
I'm going to take the Cyclone to the tire dealer this weekend and have them put in metal valve stems and balance the tires and go with the Towmasters this Summer. I'll look into replacing next year.

Yianni

The wheel rating should be stamped on the back side of the wheel. If your tires are rated at 3500# I'd bet your wheels are rated at 3750# In my opinion the GY G614 is the only way to go. Jon

Jon, the back of my wheels are stamped 3580 Max Load. Not sure what this translates to in psi but does that mean my rims cannot handle the G614's.

jnbhobe

Look at the inflation chart for LT 235-85-16. It shows the capacity of that tire is 3580# at 100#psi. As cookie stated in another thread the G-614 weighs like 24lbs more then its china counterpart. The 614 will be the heaviest duty tire you can buy for your wheels.

porthole

Retired
Louis, you don't need the valve stems unless you go with he the high pressure tires. Valve stems have not been the culprit in the past.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with porthole, but you still might want to consider the bolt on valve stems in case you ever go with a tire pressure monitoring system.
No better time to do it than when the tires are off the wheels.

Peace
Dave

Yianni

Dave - I was going with the no other reason to remove the stems. If the tires come off - change 'em

I was going to replace the valve stems because I did just get a Pressure Pro from Pat McFall. On our first trip with them last week, the alarm went off and 1 tire was 10 lbs low. I refilled it and it's holding air but I wonder if the heavy sensors bent the rubber valve stem too much and let out some air.
Any opinions if my wheels will be ok with the G614's?

TireHobby

As the name implies I do tires. Because this is my first post and under review I’ll give a little background.
We retired, sold everything, got a big ole dually truck and a 38 foot fiver and started full timing in 2003. Since then we have more than 50’000 miles on our fiver and 120,000 on the truck. When we started out I knew something about tires but very little about Special Trailer tires, especially on heavy trailers. Once I started participating in the on line forums I found I was in the majority when it came to knowing very little about the tires we ride on. I’m far from an expert today but I’m much more knowledgeable than the average tire poster and that’s because I’ve made RV tires my on line hobby. I can be found in many different forums under different names. I’m sort of a straight forward poster trying to stick to the facts as I know them and providing references when needed to stress a point.

This is one of the references I refer to often
( http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/Equipment/towing/tire_safety.htm ). Every 5th wheel owners manual will also have that statement in it’s wheel/tire section.

The 6000# & 7000# RV trailer axles present a great dilemma for owners when it comes tire replacement time. The RV trailer manufacturer sets the tone for tire replacement. They do it by certifying the tires they placed on your trailer. They can, and many do, offer options to the OEM tire/wheel. The options will not be less than the original equipment. That would require a complete production change. So, the ST tire is king on the 6000# axle and a closely related Light Truck tire in LRG is fitted to the 7000# axle.

I live 10 miles from the Michelin of North America Plant in Greenville, SC. And, even though they do not provide tires to the RV trailer industry they are my chief source of information when it comes to the LT tire. I can walk in there anytime and ask questions and get answers from knowledgeable representatives. The answers are not always welcomed on many of the forums. Michelin will not come right out and say it but it’s my observation they want nothing to do with the RV trailer tire market.

The big question is always the same. Can I use the LT235/85R16 LRE as a replacement for the ST235/80R16 LRE. And the answer is two fold. If you have 6000# axles and the trailer was delivered to you with LT235/85R16 LRE tires on it and it is so depicted on the vehicles tire placard, YES! If you have 6000# axles and the trailer was delivered to you with ST235/80R16 LRE tires, NO! The manufacturer has set the standard and no one will knowingly lower their standard because the DOT frowns on it.

TireHobby

jimtoo

Hi TireHobby,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed about a lot things.

Thanks for your first post about the ST tires and replacements. I'm sure you will get lots of questions.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I was going to replace the valve stems because I did just get a Pressure Pro from Pat McFall. On our first trip with them last week, the alarm went off and 1 tire was 10 lbs low. I refilled it and it's holding air but I wonder if the heavy sensors bent the rubber valve stem too much and let out some air.
Any opinions if my wheels will be ok with the G614's?

I can tell you from experience if you have TPMS on your vehicle you will need the metal valve stems and not the rubber ones. The sensor which screws on to the valve stem causes the rubber stem to flex back and forth and the stem will allow air to leak out and eventually break. The metal stems do not. So yes definitely get the metal stems for you Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

TireHobby

When browsing the Michelin RV web site for tire information you must keep in mind that they are always talking about self propelled RVs. They no longer recommend any of their tires for RV trailer service. So their “all position” tires are designed for the drive, steer and tag axles. In their Truck tire service manual and Truck tire data book they depict icons of all vehicles they fit tires to and the RV trailer is not to be found.

This is not to indicate that their tires are not approved for RV trailer service. It’s just that they do not recommend them.

TireHobby

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Remember an ST tire has a stiffer sidewall than a LT tire. The ST tires are designed for trailer applications which sometimes scrub tires when turning needing a stiffer sidewall.