Heater blows only cold air

Rrloren

I'll ask the obvious, is the propane turned on? If so try turning the heater on a few times , may be air in the lines. Had same issue last week but after 3 or 4 starts all was well.

Campdmg

LOL...yes, the propane is on. It would be just like me to NOT have it on, though. I'll give turning it on a few times a try. Thanks.

jwb187

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I was dewinterizing my unit and was testing the water heater on gas and electric and also the furnace. I had both LP tanks turned on with the tank switching valve in the vertical position where if one tank empties the other is supposed to pick it up. My hot water heater worked fine but I had trouble getting the furnace to ignite. After four times of failed ignition I switched the tank lever to an individual tank and the furnace lit the first time. I don't know if the cause of this was that it took that many times to purge the air out of the lines or whether switching to an individual tank was the reason the furnace lit. Any how, you might give that a try, could be your problem....jwb.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
"I had both LP tanks turned on with the tank switching valve in the vertical position where if one tank empties the other is supposed to pick it up."

Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if the switch is in the vertical position, neither tank is open to feed the propane line. The switch must be pointed to one tank or the other. I know that is the way it works on my Sundance.

2010augusta

I agree with Gus, Mine always is point left or right, it still will start drawing from the other tank, but it will not show the level of other other tank until it is turned. Not sure what up does.

DXprowler

To get full pressure from the propane tanks the lever has to be turned towards one tank or the other. When a tank empties the propane will continue to flow, provided both valves are open, as it switches automatically the full tank. You will see half red and half green in the indicator meaning one tank is empty. All red means both tanks are empty. To refill you will have to close the valve and move the lever over towards the full tank. Depending on usage, I check the indicator every other day.

jwb187

thanks guys for correcting me on the lever direction.....I guess years ago I was misinformed (how did the gas get to the hot water heater when I tested it). Anyway I know now to point it either left or right toward whatever tank I want to use. Now we need to get the OP problem fixed...jwb.

DXprowler

There was probably gas getting to the H2O heater and even the furnace, but I believe the furnace requires a lot of propane pressure. With the lever pointing to one tank that means the lines are wide open. As an aside, if I want to run the fridge on propane and it's not staring, I'll light one of the stove burners to get any air out of the system. Works every time!

Pizzaguy

We just went thru the furnace problem this weekend on our maiden voyage in our new BH. The furnace worked fine all evening and then we woke up at 4 am with the inside being 50 degrees.The furnace would not ignite at all with 10-15 attempts. Gas tanks were full.Lit the stove,still no luck. I switched water heater to gas and after it lit the furnace lit also.It has worked fine since. Called the dealer and he suggested to replace the regulator, which I did today but now it is 70 degrees instead of 30 so I haven't tried it yet.Another possible fix is to turn both LP tanks off and then turn back on slowly. With the new OPD valves, if you tun them on too quickly the OPD will partially shut down the gas flow, thus not enough pressure to ignite furnace.Let us know what you find.