should I change my tires????

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I have Mission tires on my 3055RL. I am hearing good and bad things about them. First off what air pressure should I be running in them? I checked them when I got it home on Friday and they were at 62 lb and I thought that was low. Is 80 the number? In your opinion should I not take a chance and just change them out and if so what do you think I should put on Michelin ribs or go right to the goodyears or something in between? We plan on going out west next year. This year it will be mostly 3 to 8 hr trips.

Thanks

Rick

porthole

Retired
Whatever the label says. If it says 80 psi that is 80 psi cold. It will increase in pressure as it heats up and that is normal. Check the pressure in the morning before you leave for the day.

Under inflated is very detrimental to tire life

sgtbigb

Rick, change the missions, they will break your heart, they look good from the outside, but rotton on the inside, I had 2 bkow outs on a road trip last year with those missions

Rmcgrath53

I have an 09 Sundance, on my last trip to florida I stopped at rest area and checked my china tires ( Good Year Marathons ) and lo and behold all 4 tires were inflated to 80 psi and all 4 tires were delaminating on all the side walls. I stopped at a tire dealer and they said If it was them, they wouldnt drive on them much longer. Well we found a discount tire a few more miles down the road and bought 4 new tires LT japan brand tires I think they are called Land Air. I wanted to wait and see. As you see the wait and see wasnt long from the time we bought the trailer and when I had to replace them. I am glad they had not blown up yet. Change the tires when it is convieniant for you but i would advise to ditch the bombs before they bomb you !!!!
Ron

TireHobby

That’s a very low tire pressure (62 psi). A 1 psi loss in tire pressure equals a 1.77% loss in load carrying capability. In other words, you only had about 78 % of full load capacity. The ST tire is very susceptible to tire damage caused by over heating and that’s what happens when you’re low on air pressure. The really bad thing about that kind of damage is it’s virtually undetectable. If you have driven them around a lot with very low pressure you need to constantly keep checking them for over heating and early tread separation.

Special Trailer tires must be kept at the maximum cold tire pressure indicated on the sidewall, tire placard or owner’s manual. LT tires used in that position need to be treated similarly.

Should you replace them early? Only you know how badly they may be degraded. The Mission ST tire line has developed a reputation of early failure on the 6000# axle. Another more reliable ST tire might be your best option.

TireHobby