On Board Pump

Riverman

Finally removed the antifreeze from our trailer this weekend and was able to check over the plumbing etc.
Not 1 leak anywhere!! I even removed the panel to check the backside of the UDC..all dry. Hopefully stays that way.

But when we turn the switch on for the pump - what a horrible noise. The whole trailer seems to vibrate when the pump is running and it is incredibly loud. I believe it would wake even the soundest of sleepers.
Has anyone got a remedy for this? It doesn't appear as if the pump is improperly mounted.

2010augusta

What pump does the Cyclone have? Our Landmark has the all black shur-flo 5.7 and it is so quite I have to have the radio/TV off to hear it.

Riverman

Alan I didnt get the model / make off it. I will this evening, but it appears safe to assume that it must be a different model than yours. I don't think our stereo goes loud enough to overpower this pump. Its that annoying.

Riverman

It appears we also have a Shurflo Model 5900-0211 rated at 5.7 GPM
It is also all black
I am going to try remounting it and see what that does for us.

Iver

I have the same problem. I think it is mounted against the frame for the counter top. The problem for me is that it is too difficult for this 65 year old, 6'2" body to get to it. Probably will have to get it fixed at the dealer.
Regards

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Your water pump sounds just like ours in our Sundance. I think it is vibrations from the pump combined with water pressure surging through the line causing the line to vibrate and bang against objects. I have not been concerned as yet since we haven't dry camped yet. I have only used the water pump when putting in anti-freeze, and rare occasion when we have stopped on the road for "necessity" breaks for toilet flushing and hand washing. We have no issues when city water is connected.

buckeyebob

could be air in the line.try running everything for a while,flush toilet,run shower,.do you have enough water in tank?

Riverman

I did try the city water supply and that works fine.
I had plenty of H20 in the tanks. I think your correct with the pipe vibrating theory. I am going to tgry adding an accumulator tank as well. If nothing else, this will cut down on the number of cycles that the pump does.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It may depend on how it's secured and what it might be touching. I ran our pump for the first time the other day to flush the antifreeze from the lines, pumping from a 5-gallon can. Barely heard it inside the rig. Ours is mounted to the basement floor, on top of the rubber diamond plate. With our TT, it was under the kitchen sink and you could hear it two campsites away.

Yianni

I had plenty of H20 in the tanks. I think your correct with the pipe vibrating theory. I am going to tgry adding an accumulator tank as well. If nothing else, this will cut down on the number of cycles that the pump does.

Check with Shurflo on the accumulator tank. The manual that comes with the 5.7 states not to use an accumulator with this pump.

wdk450

Most of the modern pumps stress how quiet they are. i think you might have a warranty claim. Call Heartland Service.

My 08' Cyclone has the shurflo 5.7. I had to replace it as it started to leak from the front. If its the oem (from Heartland) shurflo 5.7 it only has a 1 yr warranty, if it's the aftermarket 5.7 it has a 3 yr warranty. I just did this last week.

Riverman

I did the following today:
-Remounted pump 2 inches further back & placed it ontop of a mousepad
-Wrapped intake & discharge hoses with foam noodles & secured
We now have a near silent pump.
I believe the majority of the noise was due to the pumps output line being wedged up against one of the large sewer drain pipes.

I had the same problem with my pump, which is in the basement behind a wall. I looked at it and found that there were water lines resting on the pump, so I lifted them off and secured them away from the pump with zip ties. It is still pretty loud, but better than it was.

gpshemi

I just did the same thing over the weekend. Rerouted some lines laying ON the pump, wrapped many of them in foam noodles, zip tied wires and lines in various places, and finally added 12" of flex line at both ends of the pump. So now the pump can't vibrate the lines. Works great. Other then I still am loosing pressure every 15 mins and not sure why. That's next weekends adventure.

porthole

Retired
I had plenty of H in the tanks. I think your correct with the pipe vibrating theory. I am going to try adding an accumulator tank as well. If nothing else, this will cut down on the number of cycles that the pump does.

As mentioned above, tanks are not recommend, although I haven't found a "real" reason yet.

The pumps on most of the new trailers are variable speed and usually the noise you had is something as simple as a hose hitting something. Good to see you got yours quiet.

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
As mentioned above, tanks are not recommend, although I haven't found a "real" reason yet.

Depends on what pump you have. My 2011 3950 has the Shurflo model 2088 and shows an accumulator on the 'typical installation' diagram on the installation manual. There is not a recommendation anywhere in the pump literature about installing an accumulator. However, the variable speed pumps should not need an accumulator.

lwmcguir

I personally like accumulators for any style of pump. You get the initial surge of water before the pump has even had time to get up to speed. I find that the pump runs less often with the pressure tank in the system. As some of you stated the variables really don't need them but I like ours for the above reason.

gpshemi

Will not hurt a 5.7 hooking it up to a accumulator...they just say it's not needed. I agree with lwmcguir though. I like it because the pump runs less often and the flow is more uniform.

YMMV.

porthole

Retired
I agree, I don't think it can hurt either. I'm sure it is part of the marketing scheme. But it works well enough without the tank, so I figured i wouldn't bother.

But - I recently installed a RO system that was giving to me and had enough issues with it (some my own) that I removed the RO membrane and tank and am just using the 4 remaining filters and sink faucet.

But now I have a tank laying around with no home and it is an accumulator tank - might just have to add it to the system next time I feel like making a change.
The RO tank works with 7 PSI so I am not sure it will double as an accumulator.