the disconnect switch questions

patrick1945

My 3055 Bighorn was parked (just a few minutes) and the landing gear was down with rear stabilizers in place and the steps down. One of my neighbors was being very helpful when he tripped on the brake mechanism that when disconnected locks the trailer brakes.

Now it is not an easy process to get the trailer behind my shop for it's summer slumber. So I don't want to have to move it anytime soon which leads me to this question: I have replaced the brake away switch in the little "goodie" on the side of the pin box so DOES THAT MEAN THAT ALL IS WELL AND THE BRAKES ARE NO LONGER LOCKED OR DO I HAVE TO HOOK UP AGAIN AND MOVE THE TRAILER?

I certainly don't want to have the brakes locked until next fall.

I am assuming the brakes were locked the second my good friend pulled the item out.

I just wonder how many decades I will have to pull a FW before all questions have been asked and answered. I guess when that comes I will forget questions previously asked and ask them again.

jimtoo

Hi partick1945,

You should be fine. The brakes are not applied until a slight rotation of the wheel happens, then when current is removed from the magnet, the springs on the brake shoes cause the shoes to release.

Jim M