New Battery

I brought my RV home from storage and plugged it into a 50 amp at my house. I let the slides out, and in a while I smelled what I thought was sewer gas inside and outside. We poured water and chemicals down the toilet and sinks, and eventually the odor disappeared. After a few days, I decided to pull the slides in and only 3 slides pulled in and one didn't. When the switch was pushed, the lights in the kitchen would go off and come back on when the switch was released. I checked the battery, and it was dry so I added water. I came into the house to have lunch and when I went back to check it, the battery was hot and that same odor was back again. I realized what I had smelled in the beginning was not sewer but sulfur. I now have to purchase a new battery and was wondering if someone could advise me on the kind need to get. Also, could the battery be my only problem or could it be something else? The battery is a 30 month, and I didn't disconnect anything while it was in storage. I'm fairly new to all this, but I'm learning.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You need to periodically check the 'water' level in the battery as the converter is always charging the battery if you are pluggged in. The battery will 'boil' itself dry and then short out if you dont.

lhetsler

You would do well to connect a battery cutoff switch. That way all the residuals such as lp gas detector, anntenna etc will not discharge the battery when in storage. In winter I bring my batteries into the garage and keep them charged up, but the rest of the year between trips I leave the batteries and they keep a good charge for 2 months or more. I check the water about four times a year. You need to get a deep cycle storage battery made specifically for an RV.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anything that functions on 12V and has a liquid crystal or LED display may drain the battery while in storage. The LP detector is always active unless you disconnect the battery. I also bring my battery home (from the storage yard) and keep it in the garage. I give it a trickle charge mid-winter and again before reinstalling it.