Leaking tank on my L/M Augusta

beardedone

Beardedone
Last fall I saw a couple drips of water coming from the basement near the dump valve. Today I was taking it off our winter site (dry camping, power only) but over the week-end we were using the tanks with water we transported there to top up the black and grey #1 tank so they would flush easily. After filling the tanks I noted a steady dripping round the drain pipe at the coroplast covering. This was significant enough to cause me to think it was a connection come loose or a hole in a tank. Can anyone tell me the order that the tanks are placed in the frame. I am hoping if a tank is leaking that it is the grey one!:(

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the Augusta is similar to the BH 3670. Gray #1 is located partially under the black tank and the basement floor, in the front of the rig. Gray #2, for the kitchen, is located further back, with the water tank back there someplace. In this photo, you can see the black tank suspended under that partial floor in the center. What you see below it is the Gray #1 tank. Gray #2 has to be further back in the rig since there are no drain pipes passing through the bulkhead wall at the rear of the basement. The gravity fill tube disappears into oblivion past both of the front tanks.

View attachment 7861

beardedone

Beardedone
I should also ask if anyone knows if any threaded compression fittings are used on the drains. If so, maybe one came loose.

JohnDar

Hmm, the only way I know of to get water into the black or gray tank is to dump it in the toilet (black) or the lav sink or shower (gray 1). Based on other folks descriptions of replacing tank valves, I do not believe there are any compression fittings in the tank drains. The way things loosen up during transit, that could be a recipe for disaster. If you dumped a lot of water into the sink or shower, you might check the flange fittings under them for tightness. Make sure the sink stopper nut is tight, too. Try wiping your fingers around the drain pipes in the basement to see if they're wet or if there is any puddling on top of the tanks.

wdk450

You might try some food coloring in the suspect leaking tank to learn which one is leaking without disassembly of the bottom.

I have a 2009 BC 3490 RB and I had and still have leaks in the underbelly area. The first leak was from the top of the waste water tank for my forward toilet. That was a mess. It was leaking out of the top, running down onto the Gray 1 tank then running aft onto the next section of underbelly covering and spilling out onto the ground over the axels. So with that being said, I took it to the dealer and they ended up dropping down the tank and replacing the sealant on the ring that seals the toilet tube into the top of the tank. It has not leaked since, at least not black water...and waste.

My new leak, is just water. We were low on pressure and I decided to fill my fresh water tank and then noticed water leaking onto the ground from another area around the forward drain outlet. Since I have two bathrooms, I have a forward drain outlet and an aft outlet. So now I have to take it back again to have them look at that. Since it's just fresh water, I am not overly concerned about it. I will have them look at it after I get back from the Heartland Rally in Outbanks, NC.

beardedone

Beardedone
I like the food colouring ideas. Funny at home that comes to mind right away but out in the RV not. I guess I will have to figure out that one too. I will post back on the outcome when I get my unit back. It is the spring shop right now.

DXprowler

.....Gray #1 is located partially under the black tank and the basement floor, in the front of the rig. Gray #2, for the kitchen, is located further back, with the water tank back there someplace. In this photo, you can see the black tank suspended under that partial floor in the center. What you see below it is the Gray #1 tank. Gray #2 has to be further back in the rig since there are no drain pipes passing through the bulkhead wall at the rear of the basement. The gravity fill tube disappears into oblivion past both of the front tanks.

View attachment 7861

John.... Grey 1 is actually in the drop down part of the frame and Grey 2 is under the Blk tank. If you look at your pic you'll see the drain from the bath and washer going through the floor just beside the hot H2O tank. I did trace the Grey 2 drain, it's in the abyss some where, but I can't remember exactly. And please don't make me crawl into the Dungeon on Doom to prove it! :)

JohnDar

The drain for the bath and washer do go into Gray #1, which is the tank under my black tank and the floor of the basement. It is also marked on it, GRAY 1. Gray #2 serves only the kitchen and there are no drain pipes from the rear of the coach that I can see that pass through the rear wall of the basement. The drain from the sink in the kitchen island actually goes towards the rear of the coach, inside the cabinetry, so it is not likely that it makes a U-turn under the rig and goes to the front.

Maybe we can get HL to provide a drawing/schematic of where they place the tanks in the different rigs.

beardedone

Beardedone
I just realized that I may have mis-spoke, (sounds like a politician), anyway it was the kitchen tank that is causing the leak as far as I can tell. Sorry for any confusion as I may have mis-read the drain label.

DXprowler

.... Maybe we can get HL to provide a drawing/schematic of where they place the tanks in the different rigs.

John... Well on my BH 3410 I have a tank in the drop down part of the frame. I'm assuming that's Grey 1 because as in your pic my bath and washer drain through the hole into the drop down part of the frame. On the outside there is a, I think, 2" pipe coming from that area and connects to the 3" sewer outlet. Now I'm assuming that Grey 2 is under the blk tank. I did remove a few screws and had a look up at the forward tank under the corrugated cover. I was trying to determine if Garnet SeeLevel gauges would work but will not because you need a flat side which these tanks don't have. I did see the cable and the gate and I thought the tank did not go past where the drop down frame starts, but I could be wrong. Of course the blk tank is easy to figure out because of the 3" pipe bee lining to it from the throne.

Our madian voyage starts tomorrow for a week long trip up to Algonquin PP, the land of Moose and Bears! I'm sure I'll be back into the basement of doom again and I'll have a closer look. And I'll probably be be under the trailer again as I do have a tank that's leaking into the sewer pipe, I suspect it's Grey 1 at the gate and hopefully it's not the Black! It's definitely not Grey 2.

And your right a simple call to Heartland would explain it all! But who reads a manual anyways? For me it's part of the adventure, jumping in and trying to figure it all out!

Take care!

beardedone

Beardedone
Well today I was able to do some experimenting with the leak. Early this morning I poured 25 liters of water into the kitchen sink, which is the grey tank #2, and let it sit for about 5 hours. Then I put in another 25 liters of water and let it sit. (All the other tanks are very empty) It didn't take long and I noticed the dripping start. So I drained the tank right away and the dripping stopped. Therefore there are only two possibilities. There is a leak somewhere above the 25 liter mark, which would be about 15 % full and the 50 liter mark which is probably around 35 % full. The only other possibility could be that the extra volume has increased the water pressure on the drain, causing the leak, which I highly doubt. I was wondering about the tank level sensors, do they penetrate the tank at all or do they function from the outside somehow. Could it be leaking at a sensor. The dripping is regular but by no means is it a gusher. I won't hesitate to use it until I find the problem so I don't think it would get me kicked out of any campground. Any suggestions.

Northern Virginia
If I am following you right, your leak is around or in the area of the 3" drain outlet? The kitchen sink tank in my Augusta is below the galley, just to the right of the sink as you are facing it. If the leaking water is dripping down at the 3" outlet you may need to unscrew some of the hex head sheet metal screws and get a flashlight to see exactly where it is leaking. The galley tank valve should be at the tank outlet. It seems like any galley tank or valve related leak would be behind the axle (where the tank is) and not at the drain pipe.

John

Last edited:

beardedone

Beardedone
There is no doubt that I will be taking the basement "apart" in order to fix this. Having just spent a mitt full of money on the undercarriage up-grading I will be tackling this one myself. I think it is time to go through everything in the basement like a lot of other people have and straighten things out. I can't get to it for two weeks but I don't thing it can do any more damage while I wait.

Northern Virginia
When you figure out where the leak is coming from, let us know. I have done some work on my tank drain lines and can offer some guidance.

Good luck,
John