Slides in or out?

imchud

Just a quick question...
We have our 5er on a seasonal site for the 2nd year now, last year everytime we left the C/G we would close everything up including pulling in the slides. We just set it up for the season this past weekend and when we left my DW talked me into leaving the slides out. She said it would save her time moving stuff around to make room to close it up. I get that... but i'm anal and I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about my baby being an 1 1/2 hours away with the slides hanging out.

No... really, does it make a difference if you keep the slides in or out when seasonal camping??

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our seasonal site is 3 hours/200 miles away. We left the slides out all last season (early May - late September) with no problems. At the end of the season, they retracted without a hitch. The slide toppers kept rain and junk from accumulating on top of them. I left the fridge running on electric, too, but shut off the propane, water heater and water supply, along with depressurizing the plumbing. Left the manual vents cracked open and the Fantastic Fan thermostat set to 85-deg. All our vents have MaxxAir covers. Our absences from the rig ran anywhere from a week to 10 days.

imchud

We dont have slide toppers (yet)... and I also kill the water supply, however i leave the the frig on auto and leave the gas on just in case we lose power the frig would kick over to the gas mode..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We don't leave anything perishable in the fridge when we leave and we dump the ice trays. Sodas, bottled water, beer, and condiments are about all we leave in there. And although we've had power outages at our site, they've never lasted more than a few hours. The surge suppressor retains an error code that flashes if there was a problem once the power returns and holds it until I manually reset it.

jimtoo

As a simple check when you leave a fridge on and you are gone for a while, week or what ever. Put an ice cube in plastic bag or small juice glass in freezer. When you return, check ice cube, if it has melted or changed shape.. you would know the power was off long enough to let things thaw or start to thaw out...maybe time to have refrigerator clean out.

Jim M