Need easier way to empty hot water tank

The Elk Ridge has a tube hanging from the underbelly with a toggle switch to open and close the valve that allows the hot water tank to empty. This should be standard on all Rv's. I spent over 1-1/2 hours at Lowe's trying to figure out the correct size lug nut & wrench to buy. I protect the wiring with plastic when I release the pressure valve and I usually get my shoes wet when releasing the nut to allow the tank to empty.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Are you sure that's not the fresh water tank drain? Unless they've got a new design on the water heater, the only drain is to pull the anode rod out of the front of it after opening up the pressure relief valve above it.

2010augusta

Lisa, might be referring to the low point drain. The Elk Ridge might still have low point drains.

Anyways, the correct socket for the Anode rod is 1 1/16" and removing it is the fastest easiest way to drain the water heater.

Your shoe might get wet, but the drain and the rest of the unit is positioned so nothing gets damaged from draining the water.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lisa, the petcock you are using drains the fresh water tank. As far as I know, you have to remove the anode to drain the water heater. While you have the anode out. Clean the tank to get all the sediment out of the bottom. Opening a hot water fauset should relieve some of the pressure.