Water Pressure Regulator....Before or After?

SilverRhino

Those of you that have added dual filtration canisters to your city water input.....did you install your pressure regulator pre or post filter set up??

I am in the process of putting my filter system together and wondered how much pressure loss I would have if I installed my regulator pre filters. The filters are rated to 125 psi....so I though of adding the reulator post filtration.

Any thoughts or suggestions....

Travel Safe!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don't know if it is right, but I installed mine post filter. I feel that if the filters do reduce the pressure some, I will still have the pressure I have it set at. Providing that I have enough pressure from the park. One word of caution is that if you use, a hosel that is not of high quality, it may not handle the pressure that some parks have.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have the pressure regulator pre the hose and filters. I really do not think that it makes that much difference in the pressure's.

Dave, BTW, what is a "hosel"???? If its a good thing ...then I want one.

jimtoo

You know Bob,,,, I started to correct Dave's spelling... but decided what the heck..:D. let someone else get him..:D..besides Jim B does not pay enough for me to correct all the spelling errors that are made.:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Last season, I had my regulator in front of the filters. At the end of the season, I found that the little filter screen inside it was half full of crud. I've changed it to post filter for this season and will let the sediment filter catch the crud.

kkflstf

Once you've had your filter blow apart and cover you, your trailer, and ruin your clothes with charcoal you wll put it ahead of your filter. Been there done that!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good thing I keep the system in a closed tote container under the trailer. Where were you that they had that much excessive pressure? Running a system at high pressure does not improve flow once you reach the capability of the smallest fitting in the line. Something I keep hammering on my FD drivers. If you're encountering CG with ridiculous pressures, I would suggest putting a ball valve in front of your system and using it to "gate" it down.

Mariposa

We were in an Oregon State park where high pressure destroy a good hose. Sometimes during the night and early morning hours the water pressure can change in some parks. Another park in La Grand, OR was around 100 lb. Some times the park people will tell you if it is high pressure system, but not every time.
Bob

DXprowler

The idea of a pressure regulator is to keep your hose or worse your plumbing from blowing. I always put mine at the post.

SilverRhino

Appreciate all the input.....based on comments and experiences,,,,think I will go ahead and leave my press. reg. at the source. I think this will be safer & easier to deal with than having it post filters. Cleaning the press. reg. sounds better than dealing with a water "explosion"!

Thanks to all.

Travel Safe!

RollingHome

Randy, It may be strange looking, but, you could install a 1/2" F IPS wye strainer prior to the regulator. This could be done using 2 - 1/2" male IPS x garden hose adapters screwed into the wye. The wye has a removable wire basket which catches the debris prior to the regulator. The wire basket is removed for cleaning with an adjustable wrench ( you hold the wye with a pair of channel lock water pump pliers). Wye strainers are often used in applications such as this for the reasons mentioned. I would try to buy what I could on eBay, betcha could do it for under $ 25.00

noobee

The instructions I received with my Watts regulator indicated that it should be post filter to keep the sediment from clogging the regulator.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Regulator, Hose, Filter. I have an adjustable Regulator with a 4 hose manifold. I use 3 hoses, fresh water, Sewer Solutions, and tank washer. 1 white and 2 gray.