New Sundance Owner - First Question

TNCampers

Hi, we just purchased a 2008 Sundance 2900mk and took our first trip last weekend. We are new 5th wheelers, having moved up from a pop-up. Everything went great on our first trip, we really enjoyed the roominess of the living area and all the storage space (haven't even filled it all up yet!) We do have a question about running the refrigerator while traveling. Is it safe to have your gas on while traveling or will the refrig run off the truck battery? We weren't sure and we weren't driving far so we just turned it off before disconnecting from shore power.
Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi TNCampers,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think most of the RV'ers let the fridge run on automatic setting. Electric when plugged in and propane (gas) when running on the road. I am pretty sure you have only a 2 way fridge, gas or electric, no 12v only. But the fridge must have 12v to operate.

You will get more opinions I'm sure.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Welcome to the Family. You can run with the propane on the fridge when traveling. We usually turn ours on electricity a day before going ou and stock the fridge with cold supplies. I even keep some freezer bags of frozen water in there and do not run with it on unless we are going over 4 hours away. Everything is cold and Ice cream is still frozen. Where in Tn are you. We are located in Harrison about 15 miles north of chattanooga.

TNCampers

Thanks lmcclure I guess my concern was whether it is safe to have the propane on while driving. We will usually be driving only a couple of hours, so it may not be an issue; we will turn it on the day before like you suggested. We are in Knoxville, just an hour or so north of you.

Two Hands

There has always been and ongoing argument about travelling with your propane on. Many people won't do it saying it is a safety hazard. Probably just as many do leave the propane on to run the refridgerator while travelling. The CEO/Navigator and I have done so for years with not problems. But, you will have many who say this is a dangerous practice.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Safety experts will tell you it is not safe to travel with the propane on. They will site numerous instances of RV fires because of this. They will also tell you leaving the propane on while traveling could cause problems when fueling as the open flame and/or spark could cause an explosion while fueling from the gasoline fumes. There are some bridges and tunnels in this and other countries which will require all propane to be turned off prior to entering them. Some will not even allow a vehicle with propane in them. The bottom line is the final decision is yours. There are no "propane police" that I know of other than at tunnels and bridges where prohibited. We normally travel with it on, but have traveled with it off.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Listen to what Jimtoo posted as he is 100% correct. You need the propane on while you travel for the refig to work. It will not work on 12v only but you need 12v power for it to work on propane or 110 volts AC. I learned that our last time out.

GETnBYE

Welcome to the Family. You can run with the propane on the fridge when traveling. We usually turn ours on electricity a day before going ou and stock the fridge with cold supplies. I even keep some freezer bags of frozen water in there and do not run with it on unless we are going over 4 hours away. Everything is cold and Ice cream is still frozen. Where in Tn are you. We are located in Harrison about 15 miles north of chattanooga.
That's what we do too. I am afraid of the gas, but I am sure others run it.
Congrats on the new unit.
Nita

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Congrat's on the 2900MK. We have a 2010 and love her. We have always traveled with the propane on to keep the fridge cold, even when we had our Coleman pop-up. Never had an issue anywhere we have traveled in the West. I know you will enjoy your Heartland Sundance 2900MK.