Now I have a much bigger problem with the wiring in my 3055

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick1945

I previously posted that the receptacle on the forward side of my bed went out when I moved the bedroom slide. At the same time the breaker controlling other plugs in the bedroom tripped. I removed the mattress etc. and reconnected the receptacle and "secured" the wiring.

At that time I read the post FIRE HAZARD UNDER THE BED.

All went well for a period of time when I opened and closed the slide approximately 1/2 dozen times BUT the same thing happened again.

A few days later hooking up the RV to 110 tripped the receptacle on the outside wall of my shop where we have hooked up campers for 5 years. I am not sure if there is a connection between the wiring in the slide and any other circuits.

1. that receptacle works until it connects to my 50 amp line (with the 20 to 50 converter).
2. I have turned everything off at the RV electrical box - plugged all in - and when I plug in the 50 amp cord - the outside house/110 receptacle is tripped.

I am thinking that this should be a system of trial and error but I am not sure where to start.

Any suggestions here? I would like to give it a GO before I try to find a dealer that handles Heartland..

2010augusta

Well I would start by turning off the 2 50 breaker in side the RV and then plugging in the 50 amp cord to your shop outlet. If the shop breaker trips, then the issue is with the cord or RV wiring up to the breakers. If the shop breakers do not trip, then the problem is with the RV wiring from the breakers to the appliances and duplexes.

Your will then have to turn on both 50 amp breakers inside the trailer, and turning off all the individual breakers, then turning them back one one at a time to isolate the problem circuit.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
patrick1945, because in your post you said that you had a problem with the bed receptacle, and reconnected it, I would revisit that area first. Making sure all connections are tight and correct.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

I had a problem where I wasn't getting power from my shore plug. Was fiddling around and got a slight shock from the neutral or ground buss, cant remember which one right now. Changed extension cord from the 20 to 50 amp and every thing was OK then. Threw that cord in the trash.

RollingHome

Patrick, I see where you joined in 2009. Is your unit still covered ? If it is, take it back to the RV dealer you bought from, if not, hit us back.

RollingHome

Patrick, You are plugging into a shop receptacle on your shop outside wall... What is tripping a breaker or GFCI ? As you know, GFCI's are more sensitive then a standard breaker. They will trip for such things as dirt or moisture in your RV wiring. Try running an extension cord from a outlet inside your house or shop and see if it trips. Also, breakers get weak and have to be replaced sometimes, when then do they often 'false' trip. Powering your RV from a different circuit will help to know where to look first. Tom

patrick1945

I did connect the RV to a 20 amp plug on the inside of my shop AND all worked. The exterior plug is a GFI an d I guess that I need to replace it. Is it just the plug or do I need to replace the breaker inside?

Patrick, You are plugging into a shop receptacle on your shop outside wall... What is tripping a breaker or GFCI ? As you know, GFCI's are more sensitive then a standard breaker. They will trip for such things as dirt or moisture in your RV wiring. Try running an extension cord from a outlet inside your house or shop and see if it trips. Also, breakers get weak and have to be replaced sometimes, when then do they often 'false' trip. Powering your RV from a different circuit will help to know where to look first. Tom

patrick1945

Tom, the fw is now about 14 months old and the selling dealer was 1300 miles away in Florida. I plan to replace the GCFI tomorrow and that should do all but the underbead situation which will be done in the next week or two.

Patrick, I see where you joined in 2009. Is your unit still covered ? If it is, take it back to the RV dealer you bought from, if not, hit us back.

RollingHome

Patrick the least costly is to replace the GFCI duplex outlet only... However, if it where my shop I would not, let me explain. Most of the GFCI duplex outlets are not high quality and they are failure prone. What I would do is identify and remove the panel breaker feeding the circuit the GFCI is on. I would replace the panel breaker with a panel GFCI. Panel GFCI's seem to last longer and you probably won't need to mess with it again. Besides, what if the Duplex GFCI fails in the winter time... that would not be a fun job to do. Also, have you considered running a dedicated 30 or 50 amp circuit just for the RV ? In fact, I'm too lazy to look it up in the NEC code (just to be 100% positive), I don't believe it would need to be on a GFCI. Any of you other sparkies out there have the will to check the NEC... unless you know and are absolutely sure it does not need a GFCI.

patrick1945

THE SAGA CONTINUES= I replaced the GCFI and it worked until I plugged in the FW in. Do I need to change the breaker?

I did connect the RV to a 20 amp plug on the inside of my shop AND all worked. The exterior plug is a GFI an d I guess that I need to replace it. Is it just the plug or do I need to replace the breaker inside?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Now that you have changed the GFCI, exactly what happens. When you plug in the rig, is it the breaker or GFCI that trips? Does it trip instantly? Are the 50A dual breakers in the coach main panel turned off or on?

patrick1945

GFCI trips - not the breaker.... And I had the 50A breakers are on..

Now that you have changed the GFCI, exactly what happens. When you plug in the rig, is it the breaker or GFCI that trips? Does it trip instantly? Are the 50A dual breakers in the coach main panel turned off or on?

RollingHome

Patrick, A GFCI will often trip when a breaker will not. Try to think of them as a super sensitive breaker. Here is a link for more info -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device I believe Bob Krull asked you if the main 50 breakers were on or off because he was trying to help you isolate your problem. I believe you have a fault in your RV's electric system that will trip a GFCI but not a breaker. You installed what I (& others call a people GFCI) there are also equipment GFCI's which are less sensitive. Now let's see if we can find the problem, do these steps :

1). You stated if you plug in a non-GFCI circuit (inside with an extension cord) you are fine no trip correct and is that still true ?

2). Turn all the RV breakers off including the 50 amp main breaker.

3). Test the new GFCI with a plug in drill or lamp (I've seen brand new GFCI's be defective).

4). Plug a 120 volt radio into the GFCI and turn up the volume so you can hear it from inside at the RV panel. When the silence is deafening you found your problem. In others words when the GFCI trips the radio gets quiet because the GFCI did its job.

5). With ALL AC RV breakers in the off position, plug in your 20 amp to 30 amp adapter only. Do the same one at a time with the 30 to 50 adapter.

6). Now plug in the shore power cord - your RV's main power cord into the last adapter which is still plugged into the GFCI.

7). Now start turning on the breakers, slowly and one breaker at a time, start with the 50 amp main breaker/s, the rest now one at a time - listen for silence.

8). If this doesn't work become the first Amish camper (oops RVer) in your area. No seriously get back so we can help ya when the radio gets quiet... Good Luck. Tom

jbeletti

I'll admit to not spending enough time reading this thread thoroughly. But I'd like to add that with a previous TT, I had a pesky electrical problem that popped GFI circuits at home and at CGs. Turns out, I had previously blown the electric heating element in my water heater and I guess I was doing the trouble shooting with the power switch to the heating element ON. Spent 2 days with a volt meter scratching my head on that one :) Just sayin...

patrick1945

I am wondering if there is not an issue with the 50 amp cord and the GCFI. My bride drove over it by accident and although it works fine with a standard plug (in the same circuit) it does not work with the GCFI.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I am wondering if there is not an issue with the 50 amp cord and the GCFI. My bride drove over it by accident and although it works fine with a standard plug (in the same circuit) it does not work with the GCFI.

Easy enough to check. Connect your VOM to both ends, set on Ohms. Have your assistant wiggle and manipulate the cord to see it you lose continuity. Do this for all four connections. If the cord was laying on a hard surface when it was used for a speed bump, it may have damaged it internally.

RollingHome

Patrick, did you do the numbered sequential steps yet ? These are designed to tell you if the problem is your cord, or adapters or breakers or... but, ya gotta do these steps in proper order so we can help ya :) Are you uncomfortable with the way I described it ? Words are not one of my strong points and I have trouble sometimes explaining myself so the problem may be mine not your inexperience, just let me know Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.