Not sure if this is a mod, but I want a different lock for storage comp.

GETnBYE

I got spare keys for the BC made and then asked the locksmith to rekey the storage compartments to a different key other than the 751 that fits most campers. Well, he didn't laugh at me much! Ha

Anywho, my question is: Can you get new locks that have your own unique key?

Any help would be appreciated.
Nita

loafer

Camping world carry a round type of lock that replaces the existing lock I think they are around $25.00 each
Hope this helps that way they are different from what most rigs come from the factory with
My .02 cents worth
Bill

jimtoo

Hi GETnBYE,

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, they all carry the same type of barrel lock that is used on the doors. They are just drawer locks. You do need to know the length of the barrel as they come in lengths from 3/4" to about 2". Most stores will order a set of keyed alike locks for you if they don't have them. I think I paid about $4 each. But remember,,, they only keep honest people out. These doors are easy to pop open with a screwdriver or small flat nail puller, regardless of the cost of the lock.

Jim M

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This has been the theme of a number of threads. I do not lock my basement doors. Infact I removed one lock and put a straight latch in place of it.

Many people that have an RV have a key that fits the basement. In the few years I have been full timing I have never lost anything from my basement. I do lock the bikes down to the landing gear.

If someone wants into your basement they can get in by using a screw driver or just kick it in. I would rather let them have what they want and not damage my Bighorn.

I have talked to some that even put locks on their propane tank doors. That is a bad deal also. If a fireman needs to turn off the tanks.

FWIW
BC

GETnBYE

Hi GETnBYE,

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, they all carry the same type of barrel lock that is used on the doors. They are just drawer locks. You do need to know the length of the barrel as they come in lengths from 3/4" to about 2". Most stores will order a set of keyed alike locks for you if they don't have them. I think I paid about $4 each. But remember,,, they only keep honest people out. These doors are easy to pop open with a screwdriver or small flat nail puller, regardless of the cost of the lock.

Jim M
Thanks Jim & everyone for the replies. I will talk to someone at one of the store mentioned.
I know they won't keep someone out who knows how to get in, but we have some kids in the neighborhood who it probably would keep out. I feel much safer in a campground at night than in my own neighborhood, sad but true.
Nita

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sweet! I stopped at the local locksmith shop and they didn't have anything. Looked at CW and from what I read in the reviews, you could only remove the key in the locked position. So, for about $60 I can have peace of mind and ease of use. I'll be ordering four of the 1 1/8" models tonight. I pulled one of the non-keyed cam-locks from the rig and measured the barrel. It needs 1 1/8".

jnbhobe

Sweet! I stopped at the local locksmith shop and they didn't have anything. Looked at CW and from what I read in the reviews, you could only remove the key in the locked position. So, for about $60 I can have peace of mind and ease of use. I'll be ordering four of the 1 1/8" models tonight. I pulled one of the non-keyed cam-locks from the rig and measured the barrel. It needs 1 1/8".

If you are talking about ACE locks, all you have to do is file off the little tit on the end of the key and you can remove the key in any position. You can also turn the cam stop over to change the direction the lock turns. I use hundreds of these locks in my business and file all my keys so I can leave a lock open we I need to. JON