Air Compressor

landp

I have an air compressor with a 6 gal tank. I would think it would have enough pressure to fill my tires to the recommended 80 lbs. Yesterday I tried to top them off and could only get them to 62 lbs. I set the pressure requlator to 125lbs on the compressor but that didnt make a difference. Any ideal on test my compressor to see if I am getting the right pressure?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
landp, the upper (kick off) and lower (kick on) switch may be set to kick on at, say 55 psi, to kick in. So when you equalize the pressure between your tank and tire, 62 psi, the compressor will not kick in.
Try inflating your tires while the compressor is running. It will want to build pressure till it reaches the 125 psi limit.
You were below 62 psi??? When was the last time you checked your tire air pressure?

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

Have you tried check the pressure with a couple different gauges? could simply be the the gauge has stopped working properly.

has the compressor been able to reach pressures of 80 psi or above before?

Are you using at least a 1/2" air hose? Sometimes the pressure can be very slow to react when using those coiled type small air hoses.

aatauses

Keep your compressor running while filling. If it cuts out, put your relaese and drain pressure until it starts agin and then continuing filling.
al

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If your tank gage read 125 psi and you set the hose regulator to 125 psi, you should have been able to easily top off. With my 3-gallon one, the tank fills to 125 psi, I set the regulator to 110 psi, and have to repeatedly "dump and pump" to get my tires to 110 psi because the relative closeness of the tire and tank pressures. But it works, and so far I've never needed more than 10 psi to get back to the proper tire pressure (mine need 110 psi).