Are DualPane windows REALLY advantagous?

GaryB

Hi All - I was going to post this in the "Ask the Factory", but decided to post it here first to see if anybody knew the answer. I was planning to buy dual pane windows for my BigHorn to better insulate from heat/cold and to prevent condensation. But I read the following article (shown below) in the FAQ section of the NuWa website (www.nuwa.com). The main thrust is that true "thermopane" windows don't really exist in the RV industry (although they're often erroneously referred to as that). They claim the existing "dual pane" windows don't have a layer of inert gas between the panes and, therefore, the added insulation benefits are negligible. Is this true, false or does anybody have any added insight into this claim? Also, does anybody have any insight into the "storm window" claim or availability? Here's the article.............

We know of no real thermopane window in the RV towable industry. Thermopane is a term being improperly used by some manufacturers and sales people.

What is available is "dual pane" windows, which is two sheets of glass instead of one, however there is no inert gas sealed between the panes as on residential thermopane windows. Don't expect tremendous improvement to insulation value (approx. 0.5 R factor improvement), because the second layer of glass doesn't by itself add that much R factor without the air between the panes. The positive features heard from customers are “less outside noise penetration” and “improved insulation”. The negative comments are $1600+ of cost and around 150 lbs of extra weight. Are they worth it? Those who have them will probably say they are. Will they pay for themselves in propane savings? Probably not.

Storm windows provide more insulation value, and are less expensive. But because customers are being led to believe they are buying "thermopane" windows, the storm window popularity has waned. The one downside of storm windows is the need to store them when not in use. And don't expect them to prevent all condensation in extreme temperatures, because of the metal frame used to make the storm window. They prevent outside air ventilation unless removed from the window.

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Gary:
I will tell you from our experience, that I will never have another unit without them. Yesterday, it was 95 degrees outside and 73 inside. Not only do they help in cooling and heating but they also help with outside noise. We didn't have them in our last two fifth wheels and the difference is significant. If you are going to be in high temperatures, get the dual pane windows and two A/Cs. If you are going to do a lot of camping in colder weather, I would recommend getting the A/C's with heat pumps. You'll be glad you did.

John

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

GaryB
I have a nephew who works for a glass company in Detroit. They provide replacement window unit. He said that the windows made for the RV industry are simply dual pane, and the same is true for the housing market also. The low E windows have a uv film applied and the best have an argon gas in between the panes, and are expensive. All this being said the R value for the dual pane is still high enough to make a difference, due to the fact that the air is removed leaving a vacuum.

J-W&E

We DO have dual pane windows in our Grand Canyon. We DID NOT have them in our last 5th wheel. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get them. As said before, there is a big difference in cooling, heating and noise reduction.

Trap

The biggest advantage of dual pane windows, is that they do not sweat nearly as much as single pane windows do, especially in damp cool (cold) weather. This type of weather can happen up here in Alberta quite often.
Week of Sept 3-10 weather was low 80's to low 90'sNone . Week of Sept 11-18 weather was low 80's to low 40's for daytime highs:eek: . We won't buy another trailer without dual pane windows.

Trap