LED light conversion

Tentun

Brand new unit but thinking about changing the outside marker lights to LED's. we saw a trailer on our last trip and noticed that you could see the lights a long ways off. Maybe will add a red lightbar to the bottom edge spanning the rear cap. I believe there are direct replacement units available. Anyone else out there done this?

jnbhobe

A lot of us have changed to LED lights. What is the year, make, and model of your unit.With that info we can tell you where we purchased our replacements at. Some of us have also added side turn lamps. Jon

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks for bringing this up!
If you don't mind... I would like that info as well! I had thought about doing the LEDs and side turn lamps too!
2010 BH 3670rl

jnbhobe

Thanks for bringing this up!
If you don't mind... I would like that info as well! I had thought about doing the LEDs and side turn lamps too!
2010 BH 3670rl

tail lights are a direct replacement with most 4" round LED with a gromet you just have to watch the plug with some high end lights. There is also a direct replacement for the marker lights. I will try to post links tonight when I get home from work. Jon

jnbhobe

Garth; Thats one of the sites I have saved, good one for surface mounted tail & stop lights. JON

RollingHome

Tentun

Thank You!!!! I'll be looking at all the suggestions and do appreciate the responses.

2010 Sundance XLT 297RE
2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7 6.6 Bed

jnbhobe

Guys; those are the sites I saved. I got all of my lights from the NAPA store they are all show truck lights with 20 LED's and are made by Trucklite. I also added backup lights to the rig. JON

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Attachments

• trailer mods 026 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 026 (Large).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 55
  • trailer mods 024 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 024 (Large).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 52
  • trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 50
  • trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1st campout 042 (Medium).jpg
    1st campout 042 (Medium).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 54

RollingHome

Bob, nice touch with the extra lights. How hard (or easy) was it to pull the wiring especially for the midship turn signals and the bar over the plate. Jon ditto on the back up lights and are the backup lights LED too ? I've wanted to do that on every RV I've had and never did. Tom

jnbhobe

Tom; I used tractor lights with a trapozoid pattern and mounted them on the frame brace by the back of the baggage doors. That way they point at the wheels and show to the back of the rig. I always want to know where the wheels are, I have had BU lights on my last 4 trailers. JON

RollingHome

Jon, yeah, well you're about four steps ahead of me... I really need to get on the stick and get my act together. Maybe I will find the time because more then once I really needed BU lights to help me get in. Patti guides me with FMS radios, but having eyes n seeing would help so much more. Thanks for getting back Jon.

beardedone

Beardedone
When you put the side mounted turn signals on did the light activate with the brake also, or were you able to isolate the wires somehow?
thanks.

jnbhobe

When you put the side mounted turn signals on did the light activate with the brake also, or were you able to isolate the wires somehow?
thanks.

I have a Ford and they don't have individual turn signals like GM. So the easy way is to let them light like the stop & tail lights. It can be done on the GM but you have to add another plug. Forum user Bob&Patti from Cal. has done it to his unit. JON

Bob&Patty

Tom, sorry that I didnt get back to you sooner. Jon is correct as to the brake/turn signal wiring. It all depends to the the make of your TV. The GM trucks are easy to wire from. Your sig does not tell me what you pull with. On a Ford you would have to runs wires from the front t/signals to make them operate seperately. Not sure about Dodges. What I know is that your stop/turn light have to operate seperately to not have the mid-ship turn signals not come on with your stop lamps.

As to running wires. You can pull wires under the front cover. Remove the screws holding the pinbox molding and the latch for the front compartment door. The cover will come down a little. I used 2 coat hangers twisted together to pull the wires. Wasn't hard. If you need more help let me know. PM, email, smoke signals or what ever. BTW, the light bar over the lic plate lite is from a 1tn chevy...its the one under the tailgate...has 3 LEDS in it. The wiring is from the lic plate light...easy to get to.

RollingHome

Thanks Bob, I have a DW Chevy, new body style w/ the light bar under the tailgate. I assumed the midship TS would connect into the 5er TS circuit. Is there any concern with wire insulation chafing or do you suggest fastening it somehow. On my wish list, I'd like to install a RV camera (or 2) and maybe something else. When I do I want to install everything at once, I'm not a glutton punishment.

Bob&Patty

Tom, good you have a Chebby, but the next question is, are the turn signal and the brake lites on a seperate bulb? If yes, then you can wire them seperately. Before you start, crawl under the rear of the TV. On the 2nd to the rear crossmember to the left(drivers) side there should be a square Box, if you will, that has 4 retangular connectors in it. There should be a connector (2) that goes to each tail lamp assembly. Just tug on each harness and look where it goes. Once you figured out which is which, use a test lite the find the t/signal wire ( lite blue) to both sides on mine, unless GM has changed the color code. You can solder a wire in at the harness or do it at the sockets at the lamp assemblies. Your choice. Find 2 wire colors and run a dedicated wire for each side in the harness to the plug and to the mid-ship t/signals. No extra wires are needed for a ground. This would also be a great time to run a wire for back up lites. I used a 4 pronge trailer plug and mounted it under the 7 pronge for the Horn. Now that you totally confussed....I will send you a PM with my Ph#. Bob