shock absorbers on 3580 7000# axles

esbeasley

while checking the torque on the spring u-bolts (ALL of which were loose) on my 7000# axles I found a couple of shock absorbers that need to be replaced (bent rods). I would like to find/use something different than the OEM that came from Heartland. Anyone replaced their Lippert shocks with a different brand with any success ?? I'd like to find something the same diamater or even smaller - tire clearance are tight. Local shop shakes their head and tell me to go to OEM.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
To be honest with you, the shocks are pretty much useless. The angle at which they are mounted is too much to be worthwhile. If they were more vertical, they would work as designed but at that steep angle, they don't do much. I think others may chime in and hopefully agree. I would just remove them.

caissiel

I had the same thing happen to my suspension on the 3500RL 7000# springs and shocks.
The shock rod ends are bent because the shocks are installed at a 30 deg angle from the horizontal and the brackets are at 45 deg on the frame and at 60 deg on the spring plate. And when they are traveling it can only bend the rods.

I did modify the top shock support to angle the shocks to the recommended angle of around 53 deg from the horizontal.
It located the shocks midway to the shock supports of 45/60 deg.

I determined that the frames are designed for the springs under the axle style installation.

I will not show my installation yet before I do extensive travel and determine that the installation suits me.

I was also looking at an SOB unit of similar weight as mine and the shocks are not there.

I did notice improvement in the parked bouncing of my unit, as the shocks seam to help in the steadiness of the trailer.

kkamshop

What the problem with our unit was that during frame assembly the welder mounted the shock mounts on the wrong side of the line they were to be welded to.Which took away any space for shock travel.2 of the shocks were compressed so much that they were actually carrying weight on them.I sent pictures to Lippert they contacted me and made arrangments to fix the problem.Very happy with Lipperts response to my problem.

beardedone

Beardedone
Read my (long) post on the thread, Lippert really doesn't care about safety. I posted it today and to make a long story short. Your shocks are useless. They have to be much closer to the vertical. So new angle and different shocks. As yours are now they only flex in the middle (like mine did) and they do not dampen. Period. Lippert should really take another look at what they are doing, becuase right now they are wasting money, both yours, mine and theirs.

Pulltab

I had Lippert install shocks on my unit over a year ago, they botched it so bad! First they nearly burnt my unit to the ground, didn't tell us, then later found out the shock mounts were welded on while the unit was jacked up which completely compressed the shocks when it was down. Bent the rods AND the mounts on the frame. When I brought it to their attention at the rally last year they told me a off the left brain story about how shocks work and why they LOOKED compressed. I had them removed and installed the Trailair. Yes they are owned my Lippert but Lippert does not do the install, Dale did. I trust him!

ChopperBill

Hanging around motorcycles and ATV's most of my life I know shocks can work at any angle but, Caissiel is right with his degree quotes. If the angle of the dangle isn't right they wont work. My new one has shocks but the old 3055 didn't. I never had a complaint about the ride in the old unit.

jolar3329

I had bent shocks and rub marks on the tires of my 2009 Big Horn 3670. Heartland installed wider axles, two new tires, and two new shocks under warranty. This corrected the problem.

beardedone

Beardedone
If you read my posts you will see I had issues with the suspension on my Landmark. I just finished spending a wad of money to fix the under carriage up properly. The very large and experienced company that did the work, Standen's Springs, said the old shocks were completely useless and all that was happening was the rod was bending. This is because Lippert installed the shocks at an extreme angle. Totally ineffective and basicaly only account for carrying extra dead weight. I had new shocks installed at a much more appropriate angle, closer to centre, and together with my new Centre Point suspension my ride has improved dramatically. I don't un derstand why Lippert hasn't reacted to the after market issues about their shocks. It wouldn't cost anything to correct it on the manufacturing line and they would gain some credibility for customer connectivity. Don't let Heartland off the hook either because they should know what the issue is and have taken steps to get Lippert to fix it. After all Heartland is Lippert's customer too and they should carry some weight in demanding accountability!

gardengal

I cut mine off when I installed my second set of springs from Lippert. We have not felt any diff or seen anything out of the ordinary with NO springs. All those dang things did on our '09 3670 was get in the way of the tires and add extra weight to the coach. They are NOTHING but a marketing ploy. Anything layed that far down will not work PERIOD!!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Saying the shocks are useless because they are at an angle is just plain wrong. The shocks lesson the back to front motion of the RV during braking by dampening the axle wrap (twisting of the axle). Remember the RV wants to nose dive when the brakes are applied. My Dodge truck has a shock mounted flat to stop the axle of twisting and lessens the nose dive under braking.
I added shocks to my light weight Sundance in a more vertical position to help the ride on rough hwys and parked. One shock is at an angle because of the slide blocking the vertical installation.

Attachments

• SRTrear2..JPG
    SRTrear2..JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 40
  • PICT0027b..jpg
    PICT0027b..jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT0025..JPG
    PICT0025..JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 34

beardedone

Beardedone
The problem is if the shock rod is bent then it won't move in any direction and will not do any good for anything. My rods were only bending not moving like they should.

Tankie

My shocks and the lower mounts are bent as well. They sure are helping alot at bending stuff. I am hoping the CP system will help out the springs a little, also will see if they can fix those useless shocks.:D