Mounting hardware??

micpk43

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a size and type of screw to mount accessories to the walls. I have a 2009 28BH. Thanks for your help. PK

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The thin wallboard won't support much weight, so be careful what you hang on them. For small framed photos, we use heavy duty velcro, and maybe a pin-type picture hanger. Towel rings usually require a molly and a #6 or #8 screw. But you have to watch how you tug on it, or it may start to pull out. If you just run a screw into the wall, it's almost a guarantee that it will come loose unless you find a wall stud to drive it into.

robnmo

We're still really green and new to this but we mounted some brackets in the garage, where we didn't hit a stud I used short molly jack nuts, in a 10/24 size bolt. Just another idea.

irvin56

you need to find a metal stud to hold any weight at all.

Some have used a backing board longer then the area you want.
Mount the board into metal stubs, then mount the stuff on the board where you want it.
The walls are paper thin.

techman

Like Irvin said, the walls are thin and you need to hit a stud to hand any real weight BUT the problem is locating them. Travel trailer walls are not set up like a standard wall of a house where everything is based on 16" centers. Even when you are positive you know where a stud is located you are probably wrong. The best thing to do is to write the factory and request a drawing of the studs in the wall you are planning to screw into. (Give them the model and serial number and what you are doing. They have to do this manually so don't ask for complete specs because I don't think you will get them.) They sent me information to mount my flat screen to the wall between the door and window. The closest/only stud was the doorframe. I have used a stud finder that does metal studs and electric wire for smaller jobs.

Mike

RollingHome

ALL great ideas, one more hint. Drill a very small hole first to aid you in knowing nothing is behind the wall and you have enough depth for whatever mounting hardware you decide to use. I use a 1/16" bit (the 'mistake' hole will be small). I drill through the wall and wiggle it around to check clearance etc. What I use depends on what I'm hanging and where I'm hanging it. If you tell the forum what/where I would not be surprised if someone has already done the same thing and could give you even more detailed ideas.