Well, I Chickened Out (Tires)

Yianni

Well, I Chickened Out (Tires) Pictures Added

I was waffling back and forth about using the factory tires for a year and then replacing them, but finally decided to just go ahead and replace them with Goodyear G614's. We had a bad blow out on Chinese tires on our last travel trailer and it was not much fun and did quite a bit of damage. i probably could have gone a couple of years with the Tow Max tires but I'm a little gun shy and I just read a post where one went flat for a new Cyclone owner. We have some long trips coming so the peace of mind is worth it especially when you have the family with you.
Unfortunately, the rims Heartland selected for the Cyclones are only rated for 3580 lbs max. This leaves only 2 choices. Buy ST tires again or buy new rims. I chose the latter so I could get the Goodyears. Dave (Cookie) gave me the name of the tire and wheel supplier to Heartland so I called them and they were a great help. Tredit tire and wheel or Tredit.com. I wound up getting the same wheels that are put on the Bighorns. I liked their looks and they will bolt right on. They will be here on Monday. They are rated for 3750 max load and a psi rating of 110.
Sooner or later all Cyclone owners are going to have to either upgrade their wheels or buy ST tires again.
Will post pics after I get them on.

I got the tires and wheels. This is what a Cyclone looks like with Big Horn wheels. I like these wheels very much. Too bad they did not come from the factory. The higher rated wheels should be standard on a Toy Hauler. I also installed a Dexter EZ Flex for the suspension as I bought my Cyclone just before they came from the factory.
The Goodyear G614's are really nice tires. Will give them a try next week.

Attachments

• DSC02595 (resized&#41.jpg
    DSC02595 (resized&#41.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02593 (resized&#41.jpg
    DSC02593 (resized&#41.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02594 (resized&#41.jpg
    DSC02594 (resized&#41.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02592 (resized&#41.jpg
    DSC02592 (resized&#41.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Dave012

Doesn't really sound like Chickening Out. Sounds like you made an informed decision based on personal experience and considerable thought. Good for you. Peace of mind is important.

porthole

Retired
Louis - no doubt you can sell the old set.

I have bought three sets of "take offs" on eBay for my current truck and last truck. Each time I sold the old wheels (aluminum) and used tires on eBay.

You have the advantage of fairly new skins.

rideblue

new trailer whee&#1.JPGnew trailer whee&#1.JPGnew trailer whee&#1.JPGI too felt the need for an upgrade. I went from the factory 15 inch to 16 inch wheels and ended up putting on LT tires on. I had 15 inch D rated tires that wore out really fast. I now have 16 inch E rated tires and more peace of mind. I also like how they fill the wheel well better. Sorry if these didn't upload properly.new trailer whee&#1.JPG

Texasturtle

Texas Turtle
I have a '07 3400 Bighorn and just got back from a 2 week trip to my son's wedding. On the road home I blew 2 trailer tires and had one trailer flat. All were there original Chinese Roadstar ST 235/80R16's, D rated. With each flat I tried to find the Goodyear G614's. Not in Meridian, Jackson, Vicksburg or Monroe. My last blow out was in Ruston, LA. We went to Walpole Tire (GREAT GUYS if you ever need them). They had the G614's but pointed out that I only had about 2 1/2" clearance between tires and the G614's, while 16's are also 85's and they were concerned about rubbing. So....even when I was more than willing to by 5 (one for the spare) of which they had 8 or so. They were so concerned they talked me out of it. I now have the famed Marathon's, load range E. With the manufacturer's date for each being less than 5 months old.

Is anyone else running the new addition of the Marathon's?

TireHobby

I have a '07 3400 Bighorn and just got back from a 2 week trip to my son's wedding. On the road home I blew 2 trailer tires and had one trailer flat. All were there original Chinese Roadstar ST 235/80R16's, D rated. With each flat I tried to find the Goodyear G614's. Not in Meridian, Jackson, Vicksburg or Monroe. My last blow out was in Ruston, LA. We went to Walpole Tire (GREAT GUYS if you ever need them). They had the G614's but pointed out that I only had about 2 1/2" clearance between tires and the G614's, while 16's are also 85's and they were concerned about rubbing. So....even when I was more than willing to by 5 (one for the spare) of which they had 8 or so. They were so concerned they talked me out of it. I now have the famed Marathon's, load range E. With the manufacturer's date for each being less than 5 months old.

Is anyone else running the new addition of the Marathon's?

Do you have 6000# axles?