Anyone have trouble with their Propane Gas Leak Detector

jbeletti

This evening, all of the sudden, our Propane Gas Leak Detector started alarming. No appliances were running with propane gas at the time. Windows were open and fans were on at the time.

I grabbed the portable gas sniffer I had bought at CW. Sniffed all over the inside of the trailer, under the refer, outside the trailer around the gas lines, tanks, valves, regulator etc. Nothing.

The detector would not stop. Kept muting it, retesting around the room, under the stove top etc. Nothing.

I pulled the unit (CCI Controls model 7770.2) out of the wall and sniffed behind the wall too (detector works front and back per the manual). Earlier, I could not determine which 12 volt fuse that fed the unit and I didn't want to play fuse roulette. When I pulled the unit out of the wall and pulled the wires and connections out to snip the hot wire, I found a blade style fuse holder with a 1 amp fuse in it. So for now, the unit is off by way of removing the fuse.

Came in from a campfire and walk tonight and sniffed the trailer with the portable detector and nothing. We'll put the fuse back in before bed and see what the unit does.

Oh, I also blew all the dust out of the unit with air - front and back. No help. I think I have a bad unit. Planning to call CCI on Monday to see what they say.

Anyone else had this issue? Anyone else have other ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• DSC01603.JPG
    DSC01603.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 7770T1LT.pdf
    153 KB · Views: 25

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Jim
Had this problem last year. Factory sent a new Co2 detector, maine was faulty. Replaced under warranty. Check with Randy in parts at Heartland.

jbeletti

Hi Glen,

My problem is with the Propane Detector. But like your Co2 Detector, maybe Propane Detector is just defective.

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Jim
They both serve the same purpose, and I meant the Propane detector. I just happen to tpye Co2 because that is what was on my mind. You know how us old folks are.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim,
I have the same problem. Mine was mainly going off if it was hot inside the camper and no air circulating. I know that the different glues and materials used inside the unit will emit fumes when they get hot and cause the alarm to go off. if there was air moving inside the camper it was fine. I probably should not have done it, but I put an automotive ,on - off switch before the detector, to cut the detector off when the camper is at home. I leave the power plugged up when I am home and the refrigerator on. I just need to remember to cut the switch on when we are using the unit.
trdeal

jbeletti

Propane Detector - Fixed??

trdeal,

You make a good point. While that's not my issue, for others taking delivery of new units, if they get any ENT (ear/nose/throat) irritations from glues etc., I'll bet their Propane Detector may go off too. Read that in the detector manual too.

Update on mine: Last night, I put that 1 amp fuse back in its holder and the nit did not go back off all night long. Still nothing yet today (5 pm) either.

Perhaps the magic fix, like others on the forum with other items of late, was cutting the power to the unit, thereby resetting it. My unit has not had it's 12 VDC cut since I took delivery. When the trailer is at my home CG, it is connected to park power. Through last winter, I left the batteries in, the converter on and the charge wizard plugged in.

Maybe it just went temporarily insane?? I'll still fowllow up with CCI Controls on Monday to see what they think.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and idea.

Jim

trdeal

Jim,you spoke about the charge wizard in you previous answer to me, I installed the charge wizard on a previous travel trailer we owned. I have considered installing one on our Landmark but have not done so yet. Did you install yours or did it come from the factory installed?
Have a Blessed Sunday

Last edited:

jbeletti

trdeal,

I addeded the Charge Wizard to my converter. It's a great addition to the coach and an easy DIY item to add. I bought mine from Camping World. Here's my shameless affiliate link to it at CW.

I chopped the cord on my charge wizard to route the wiring so I could place it where I wanted it. Then I respliced the wires. Progressive told me this was fine to do.

Jim

jbeletti

trdeal,

I addeded the Charge Wizard to my converter. It's a great addition to the coach and an easy DIY item to add. I bought mine from Camping World. Here's my shameless affiliate link to it at CW.

I chopped the cord on my charge wizard to route the wiring so I could place it where I wanted it. Then I respliced the wires. Progressive told me this was fine to do.

Jim

trdeal

Thanks Jim,
I think that I will make the 30min drive to our local camping world and pick up the charge wizard tomorrow.
Terry

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim,

Were you by any chance working on any of your projects when the propane detector went off? Thre are still a lot of aerosols that use propane as a propellent.

Just a thought!

Phil

jbeletti

Hi Phil,

I thought of that too. But we were relaxing in our chairs when it went off. Prior to that, nothing aerosolized was used inside or outside of the trailer. We did wonder if it was from something outside - maybe a cloud of some sort of gas that the detector would react to but we smelled nothing. The furnace and stove were not in use and the refer and water heater were both on AC power. Unit is still holding strong.

Jim

jbeletti

I contacted CCI Controls, the manufacturer of my Model 7770.2 Propane Gas Leak Detector today.

I explained to "Adrian" what was happening with my unit and that I have been able to silence the alarm by cycling the power to the unit.

He told me that the unit carries a 2 year warranty and that if I mail it in, they will, repair, recalibrate or replace it as needed. These units cost about $75 so I think I'll spend the $4 to mail it in.

I'll circle back with a final update once I send it in and get it back and installed.

Here's the info for anyone else who may search this forum sometime down the road and need to make contact with CCI:

CCI Controls, Inc.
323-560-6060, ext 121 or 123 (Customer Service)
Obtain RMA # for returns

Returns to:
5052 Cecelia Street
South Gate, CA 90280
USA

jbeletti

Terry,

I put the Charge Wizard on the vertical felt covered panel near the battery switch above the batter tray. See this link for a picture.

Jim