Kitchen cabinet shelf

We have a 2010 Bighorn 3610 RE. We love it. We have found one thing we dont understand why it isnt there. We have a double door fridge and the cabinet between it and the exhaust fan is huge but it needs a second shelf. Without it so much space is wasted. I am going to add one but it would be nice if it came with one that is adjustable.

Doxylady

Our 2009 3670RL doesn't have the shelf either, but DH is afraid to put any kind of screws into walls when he thinks there might be something behind them that he can't see. So I got a wire shelf from Target but it's not quite wide enough. I am just gonna have to push him into putting a shelf in!!! Need the space!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a thought or two for adjustable shelves in that cabinet. Use 1/2" baltic birch panels on either side of the cabinet that you've pre-drilled for the plastic shelf pin brackets. They don't need to cover the entire inner walls, just wide enough to be easily installed, maybe 2" wide. Put two on each side of the cabinet. Paint or stain the panels, if you wish. Use a bead of Liquid Nails to secure these panels to the sides (makes it permanent). Then you can mount a shelf, or shelves, where you've put the holes for the brackets. Granted, you'll loose an inch of width between them, but you'll have your shelf. The thin walls of the cabinets won't support much weight if you try to screw things into them.

Alternatively, if you can drill into the sides without causing major damage, you could make an alignment jig with holes the size and spacing you want (1/4" pegboard?). This would be to drill into the sides for holes to install the plastic shelf pin brackets. This method is used in home kitchen cabinetry. With this, you only need to penetrate the thin wall of the cabinet and not worry about driving a screw into something you don't want to.

Have I done this on my 3670? No, but I've thought about it. With a single door fridge and the pull-out pantry, I haven't needed a shelf in that cabinet by the exhaust vent. At least the wife hasn't told me I needed one...yet.