Adding Towel Bars

Saildogs

We brought the new North Trail home yesterday and are delighted. PDI went very well and the unit tows beautifully behind our Expedition.

Now we need to organize the "stuff" going into the trailer and wanted some information as to how to mount towel bars, TP holder, PT holder, etc. Do any of you use the 3M Command Strips and if so, are you satisfied or should we just mount on the wall with screws?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're going to screw things to the walls, use mollies. Even so, the thin wallboard won't take a lot of tugging before they work out. Lifting the towel out of the holder puts less strain than pulling it out. Depending on your bathroom cabinetry, you could hang an extra towel bar beneath a cabinet, like I did. I used machine bolts run up through the double bottom of the cabinet and a standard towel rack. By the sink, I mounted a towel ring, using a plastic molly and screw. We've used velcro and pin hangers for small pictures and "doo-dads" around the rig, but have not tried the 3M Command Strips yet.

View attachment 7943

RollingHome

I use mechanical fastener such as mollys, toggles or only wood screws - IF - I can hit wood members. In addition high quality double face adhensive used strip with the mechanical fasteners will give added strenght. For instance, just today I mounted a Jar Lid V opener under the kitchen cabinet, I caught the cabinet frame with a wood screw/s. I also used double face adhesive strip. When I use molley or toggle type fasteners I drill a small 1/16" hole first. I then 'wiggle' the bit around in the hole to make sure I have clearance and depth for the toggle - before I drill the big ugly hole. This gives me some knowledge what's behind the wall and whether or not the larger fastener will fit. Today I also mounted a barometer using a toggle and adhesive backed Velcro strip/s. I mounted my towel bar the same as John Dar did, under the cabinet with long 8-32 screws and nylon insert nuts and washers, they don't vibrate loose going down the road. Tom

Wharton

We just went looking for towel bars for our 2011 BH. In the past the bars were adjustable, guess what, they now only come in 24" or 18". Bummer.

I kept looking and found adjustable ones at BBBY. Looked up the brand online and found them in the oil finish(efaucets.com). They should arrive this week.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Get the 24" and just cut the rod to the length you want. It's just a thin walled soft metal tube.

Wharton

The rods are now glued/welded? to the end posts.................................Surprised me totally. As I said, BBBY was the only place I could find the "old-fashioned" ones.