Generator Issues

I just purchased a new 5th wheel last November. I put fuel stabilizer in my tank for the winter, but did not
run my generator every month as recommended. Of course now it will not start. It is a Cummins/Onan.

It does not appear to be getting any fuel into the carborater. I realize that it may be the gumming problem, but when I hold down the primer button, I do not hear any type of pump sound. Should I be hearing something in the prime mode? The battery is fully charged and all other electrical equipment is working.

After reading some other posts taking about fuel pump problems, how do I know if mine is working?

jimtoo

Hi JWRobinson,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

You say it is a Cummins/Onan, is this a diesel powered unit or gasoline? Also you might post the model number so the folks will know what your working with. The more information you can give the better the answer will be and we have some really good folks here.

Enjoy the forum and I'm sure someone will jump in here with some information soon.

Jim M

Thanks Jim,

I'm not where I can get the model number right now. It is a gasoline powered generator and it draws off a supply fuel tank that is in the back of the trailor about 30 feet away. This tank is also used to fuel toys. The unit is a Road Warrior 395w toy hauler 2010. I'll try to get more information

Northern Virginia
When the fuel pump is working (priming) you should hear a fast clicking sound. You can also run a jumper from a 12v battery to the stak-on connector at the fuel pump.

If you don't hear the pump click when you prime, I would bet on this as the problem.