Touch Audio dvd player/stereo - How to turn Noaa weather radio off

bdscre

We bought a North Trail 21fbs about a month ago, it has a radio, called "touch audio". We somehow managed to turn ON the weather radio, but can't find any to turn it off. I found nothing helpful on the web. We're not going to use the trailer for a few weeks, and unless I unhook my battery, the next alert that comes on will turn the radio on, and it will stay on. Any advice?

Carl Engelhardt
North Trail 21fbs
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

bdscre

No, I even called Heartland, and the manufacturer of the radio, and got no response. We now just pull the fuse for the radio every time we're done camping.

No, I even called Heartland, and the manufacturer of the radio, and got no response. We now just pull the fuse for the radio every time we're done camping.

I just installed a toggle switch that cuts the power to the stereo. Even the dealer told me there is no way turn off NOAA. He said they would put in a toggle for me for about $80. I went to Pep Boys and bought the switch for $4.00 and installed it myself. You remove the radio, run the power (red wire)thru the switch back to the radio and tie into the black ground wire. Works like a champ. Flip the switch and no power to the stereo.

AttyVette

Thanks for this information as we want to turn the radio off too because the weather alert function on this radio is truly annoying.....It kept coming on when we were in Destin Florida and it was for thunderstorms in Ft. Walton Beach FL. We would just fall back to sleep only to have the piercing radio come on alerting us to the bad weather in the town we weren't in. I know this weather radio probably has saved lives but I wish we had the option, when buying our Heartland travel trailer or r.v, as to whether or not we wanted a weather alert radio in our trailer in the first place.

TeJay

The radio is the the way it is...... just as when you open a manual for anything you buy and the first 2-4 pages are all warnings brought about because of LAWYERS, LAWYERS and more LAWYERS. This is the result of individuals who screw up by not using common sense and some contact a lawyer and sue, sue, sue. Some of this is good but most of it is trying to shift the individuals responsibilities on to companies. This is costing us a lot of $$$$$$. And the US is the worst in the world. Now if you modify your radio installation by installing a switch and sustain damage in a storm you won't be able to sue. That's why you don't have a choice when you bought your RV. If you have a pool with a fence and someone crawls over and drowns it's your fault. If you put up barbed wire and they are injured trying to get in, it's your fault for using excessive means to prevent entry. Anybody know a good lawyer ???

zwirnmann

Just last night I put in a rocker switch to cut the power to the radio in our 2011 3300RLB 5th wheel. Got tired of having a dead battery every other week. Pretty simple job. 4 screws to pull the radio. The red wire with the inline fuse coming out of the radio harness is power. No cutting required, just undo the wire nut and attach the wire with the fuse to your switch. Add another wire from the switch to the wire nut. My switch has a power on indicator light so I tapped into the black ground wire on the radio harness the same way. While you're in there best to check the tightness of all the wire nuts. I have found several loose connections throughout the trailer. I mounted the switch through the left side wall next to the radio because the right side appears to be a double wall.
Good luck and good camping!
Ralph

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Oh thank goodness for this forum and this thread.

I'll have the Mister read this. The other day I came home for lunch and got out of my car, I could hear what I thought was a loud speaker blaring at first...but it was giving out small craft advisory warnings for the Strait of Juan De Fuca or some such thing. It was that darn radio in the trailer and we had the outside speakers on from out last camping trip...quite loud, we were the only people in the entire campground that night we had it on.
We have been wondering what was going on because every once in awhile we go in the trailer and the radio is on.:confused:
We didn't know if farting around with the radio, disconnecting it when not in use or whatever would effect the settings for the DVD player.

thomison

NOAA weather radio operates on 7 different frequencies or channels. That's why the radios have 7 channels. No where in the country will you be able to receive all 7 of these channels on your radio. In most places, you might receive 3, with only one being really clear. When there is a weather alert, NOAA will transmit a 1050 Hz tone that will turn on the radio and sometimes causes an alert tone to be heard. I have not found a way to turn of the NOAA radio but there is a simple way to insure that your radio will not come on when NOAA transmits their alert tones. That is to tune your radio to a frequency or channel, that is not transmitted in your area. You can to the NOAA web site, www.weather.gov/nwr, then to at the coverage maps, or just select a channel on your radio that is completly silent. No static or noise. Just dead air. What that means is that your radio is tuned to a channel that is not being transmitted in your area. As an example, I live on the eastern shore of Maryland. I have my radio set on channel 3. Since NOAA does not transmit on channel three in this area, the radio never comes on. Hope this helps​

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We, that's me having my husband read this and then doing it, "we" installed a toggle switch to shut it off when we want it off.

Last night, I was awakened 5 times by the NOAA alert for a local thunderstorm. Luckily, my 9 year all slept through it all. I tried to turn off the alarm as described but it kept going off. No time to add the switch now but I will change the channel to one that doesn't work near where we are camping. Thanks for the suggestions.

TxCowboy

I understand that NOAA is an emergency broadcast system but the inability to turn if off is very annoying. There were thunderstorms "in the local area" (which, in Texas, can be hundred of miles away) that set mine off every few minutes for HOURS!

Stop the madness!!