Did some work on my 05 Duramax

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I did some maintenance on my truck on the weekend. I changed the oil and filter and installed a FUMOTO oil drain valve to make changing the oil cleaner and easier. I change the air filter and installed a new LBZ turbo mouthpiece on my LLY diesel. It is 4"" instead of 3" and lets more air flow in to keep the EGR temps lower. Bought the part in Florida when I was down and put it on in about 2 hrs. Truck seems to have more get up and go now. This modification was recommended by the diesel forums. Have to change my fuel filter yet and possibly flush out the cooling system and maybe the tranny before doing any serious hauling. Installed my Firestone bags too last weekend.

Rick

porthole

Retired
For the fuel filter Kennedy Diesel has a nice aluminum wrench that fits the water sensor, and do a search for a metal prime bleed screw. The plastic screw can get buggered up in no time.

I keep a spare filter, 1 gallon ziploc bag and the wrench (shortened a bit) in a 3 pound Maxwell house plastic coffee container. Keeps the spare handy and a place to put a used filter if I happen to be on the road for a needed change.

ihsolutions

Ricoh, I have an 03 Duramax... do you think the LBZ mouthpiece was worth the effort? Do you mind if I ask how much the part costs, and can you recommend a place to get it?

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Jeff

You have an LB7 Duramax in your truck. The problem did not exist until they changed the turbo mouthpiece on the LLY which I believe are 04.5 to 05 models. You should be OK and yes in my opinion it made a big difference in the way it runs and an increase in power.

Rick

ihsolutions

Thanks Rick. After I asked the question, I googled it, which I should have done in the first place. I've got one of the bad injector years, which I already knew, but at 38k miles on the clock no problems yet. My wife works for Bosch (who makes the injectors) and I used to work for them as well, so I'm hopeful I can score a set if/when the need arises. Thanks again, and glad to hear you got some benefit out of the mod!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rick, I did the same mod to my 05 "2" LLY engine about a year ago but also installed the 06-07 style air filter box. GM payed for that. It seemed to run easier and less turbo lag. Just hated grinding on a $80.00 part to make it fit right. This mod was designed by GM to help some of the over heating issues also. Seemed to help that also.

I did the turbo mouth piece mod and wow it made a huge change in the engine temp. In my opinon well worth it every penny I payed for it. I have the 05 LLY.
I got it on Alligator Performance.

Last edited by a moderator: