Interstate 59 in Alabama North of Birmingham, closed and routed to a lane in the Southbound side.

GETnBYE

Just a heads up:
I-59 North is closed and traffic is sent to I-59 South (using the passing lane for North bound traffic), it is pretty rough, I am sure you could make it, but I would be careful. It is south of Ft. Payne , headed to Birmingham.
We have decided when going to Florida next month to get on I-65 from Huntsville and avoid the area.
They are repaving and may take a while. If you need more exact details, send me a pm.
Nita

vangoes

I just traveled that route, going south on Jan. 1 and returning northbound on Mar 1. The northbound lane is not all that bad but the southbound side is absolutely horrible. Thought I would loose a kidney before we got through it. Bypass it if you can.

Stinger381

I blew a tire last year traveling on that section of Interstate .... I would avoid it at all costs until they repave it!

mikeandconnie

We traveled from northern Ca. to North Ga. May 12 and I 59 after Ft Payne toward Birmingham was the worst part of the trip. My wife was scared to death. The roads where so bad it caused pain in our side from the jaring. I agree avoid if all possible.

Stinger381

Yeah you probably should have take I-20 out of Birmingham, Al and then headed north from Atlanta .....I-59 is horrible but I hear they have plans in the works to resurface it ..... That means it will be even worse for the next 4 years ! LOL

vangoes

Has anyone traveled this section of I-59 north of Birmingham recently? I will be heading south on Jan 1. and wondering if I should map out a bypass. This section last March was absolutely horrible.

mikeandconnie

Och,, I took that route this sumer, it almost beat us to death in the cab.. I take the Gadsden exit to Rome Ga to Adairsville GA . US411 to US 27 to US 140 to I 75. If you decide on this route call me and I can help you. I'm in Rome until Christmas. You can follow me.
MIke

PM for number