Plug into 15 amp circuit at house and it just trips the house breaker - Is this a no - no

beardedone

Beardedone
I travelled to my son's place to visit for a few days. I Plugged our Landmark (t50 amp) into a 15 amp gfci plug and I thought that one leg would work so I could use power in the trailer. All that happens is that I trip the house breaker. I am assuming that you can't run anything in the trailer on 15 amps. Is this right? I need an answer as I would to at least run the furnace and keep the battery charged if possible. Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that you should be able to run on 15 amps.....if nothing is running in the LM. Be certain that your refer and water heater are both set to run on LP. And no microwave or coffee pot. How long of ana extension cord are you running to your rig. If you are trying to use a 50 foot extension cord you will suffer voltage loss.
Good luck and let us know if you ever get it working.

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I had a house, I ran my fridge on a 15 amp circuit but nothing else. It did keep the battery charged too.

beardedone

Beardedone
The electrical in the house was old. The GFCI was weak and couldn't handle anything. It has Sylvania circuit breakers and are they are expensive. We found it is going to be cheaper to chuck the whole breaker box and put a new one in.

RollingHome

Gerry, I prefer Square "D". Now owned by Scneider Electric. Been around forever and most box stores and electrical supply houses carry Sq. D.

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the replies. The Square-D brand has been mentioned locally and my son found it at HD in Edmonton, so we go in there and get one. Hi-ho, hi-ho.
thanks,
Gerry