Classic Landmark help wanted

Tom of Ypsi

Looking for help in finding the right relay in my '05 Landmark. The problem is when usng the hydraulic jacks or slides everything stops when extneding or retracting then after resting for 30 seconds or so then it starts working again. This may happen two or three times before I get everything either opened or closed up. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

ct0218

Tom,
Just prior to starting to work again do you hear a "click"--as in a relay resetting? Are you electrical connections tight, none of the wiring hot near the connections? Have you checked your amps when the hydraulic pump is running? Seems like I remember finding (finally) a loose connection in the bedroom or front closet. I accidently happened to hear it arcing. It could be a bad pump motor drawing too many amps and an internal relay cutting out because of that load. Just some thoughts.

Tom of Ypsi

Clark,

I have not heard any strange noises. I will check the bedroom connections in the BR. Also just got a phone call from Jim B (Thanks Jim) telling me to change out the 50A breaker coming from the pump. The breaker is the one coming off the heavy red wire from the pump to that breaker.

ChopperBill

Tom. buy an extra. I had to replace that one in our old 3055 and it started acting up again when we traded it in. Mostly cold weather when the oil is cold is when it was worse. Sometimes took half dozen try's to get the big slide in.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
When I upgraded the slide seals on my classic Bighorn (from white to black) I was tripping the breaker (too much friction as the new seals were a bit longer and thicker) so I talked with Lippert during the Rally and they told me I could step up the breaker to an 80 amp and this fixed my problem. The breaker is there for safety to protect your pump but I suppose your pump could also be something to look at. It might be wore out from all that camping you get to do.

Good luck Tom,
Mark

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This is really sad to admit but all this time, I could not find any breakers, in-line fuses or nothing in the front compartment of my BH. I finally replaced my original battery yesterday. It was after a discussion with my dealer I learned about where the breakers are at. I always thought those things were just terminal strips. :confused: It appears I have one manual breaker and the rest are all automatic. Ya learn something new every day. By the way, the problem I had a couple weeks ago with the power failure.... The end result was a bad battery. Failed the load test. All is good now. Sorry about stealing your thread Tom.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Heck Tom, at least after a few tries you can get yours to work, try a Brand new rig and having to crank front landing gear with no solution so far.
Good luck Bro

wdk450

After a few good faith tries to fix the problem, I would think that you are justified in using your warranty. Call Heartland Service (the numbers are posted at the top left of the Portal page) for authorization. If you aren't near your dealer, remember you can also use any independent RV repairer you choose with Heartland's prior authorization.

Heck Tom, at least after a few tries you can get yours to work, try a Brand new rig and having to crank front landing gear with no solution so far.
Good luck Bro

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey Tom,
Since you and i have Classic Landmarks try this. I had the same thing happening to me and I took my rig to Lippert after the Goshen Heartland Rally. They told me to get a 50 amp circuit breaker and hook it in with the other 50 amp circuit breaker to give it 100 amps. I was told by the tech a Lippert that the circuit is really a 100 amp circuit and it was 'under fused'. I found the breaker at a NAPA auto parts store and did what they told me and have had no more problems. The breakers are in the compartment were the battery is and it is the right (front) breaker. The breakers are located just below the 12 volt cutoff switch. Hope this helps.

Tom of Ypsi

Thanks to everyone for the help. I replaced the 50 amp breaker today, $4.19 wiill have to wait for few more days to give it the real test, that is when we will be on the road again. If this acts up again I will get a larger breaker or put 2 50 amps together whatever is easier.

Ray, You dd not steal the thread, you gave us some new info that most of us probaby did not know.

ct0218

Tom,
The breaker may well be undersized. I looked at mine today, and it is an 80A. It could be that the 50A auto reset breaker is just weak from use. Good luck.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We had the same problem with our Classic a couple years ago.The dealer installed an 80 amp and all is well.The slide outs started then stopped and started then stopped and the landing gear did the same. Clark it is good to see you on the forum again.Hope you get the Landmark all checked out and everything works as it should.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This is the same problem I'm experiencing now...where can we find this 80 amp re-settable breaker?? can't find a NAPA where we are now...

Tom of Ypsi

Kathy and Ken,

You should be able to find that breaker at any automotive store. I would take the breaker with me so you can show it to who ever is helping. Good Luck and see you in a month.

nscaler2

Here is a link to a store on ebay that has the 80 amp breaker. This is the same store that I bought mine at. I haven't used it yet. Checked to see if the bedroom slide would move after the installation, and it worked. The real test comes when moving in the long living room slide. Will find out in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hi-A..._Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ca33b6399
I am also attaching a pdf document from Lippert regarding this modification. It not only recommends an 80 amp breaker but also has a photo with the model number of the one they recommend. Google that number to find retailers for the breaker. The ebay seller was fast and dependable.

Attachments

• New hydraulic pump circuit breaker.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Kathy and Ken,

You should be able to find that breaker at any automotive store. I would take the breaker with me so you can show it to who ever is helping. Good Luck and see you in a month.

We've tried...no one has anything bigger than a 50 amp...not sure where else to look to find one that will fit on the buss...guess we'll have to use a different type.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just added another 50 to mine as instructed by the technician at Lippert who worked on my hydraulic system. He told me it is a 100 amp circuit and I have had no other issues since adding it.