Shower door drip rail

ChopperBill

Our shower doesn't leak until you open the door. Water runs down the door and on the floor because there is no drip rail. Problem is the way the door is made I cant see how a drip rail would fit. Any ideas?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ours does the same thing. I stole a bath mat from a Marriott hotel a long time ago. I put that down outside the shower door to stand on and it also catches the drip run off.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We use a bath mat, but also keep a silicone squeegee in there. Squeegee down the walls and glass after your shower (before opening the door) and you'll greatly reduce water escaping and soap scum build up on the interior.

ChopperBill

Funny, never seen a swing out door without a drip rail to keep water in the shower. Ours didn't even come with the towel bar. First one I have seen without one. If you have seen a 3610 there is no good place to put a towel bar.

JohnDar

If what you're saying is what I'm thinking, then your shower is missing two components. The bottom rail between the glass walls that runs under the door (attached to the shower floor), and the towel bar on the door. Ours has both. The photo (forget the litter box, it don't go there anymore) shows the strip along the opening between the shower walls, and the mat is hanging from the towel bar.
View attachment 8024

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JOHN, thats not nice...calling Chopper "soap scum". Bill, ours has a driprail, towel bar and a squeege. Well momma bought the squeege and was very firm about me using it. Ya know how them little redheaded german ladies are.:eek:

JohnDar

JOHN, thats not nice...calling Chopper "soap scum". Bill, ours has a driprail, towel bar and a squeege. Well momma bought the squeege and was very firm about me using it. Ya know how them little redheaded german ladies are.:eek:

I didn't say anything about Bill being soap scum. YOU DID, THOUGH. Anyways, taking another look at my rig, the towel bar is actually attached through the glass door, so unless they've got more than one style of shower door, Bill either has some plugs in his glass door, or is giving a peep show through it.

jimtoo

I didn't say anything about Bill being soap scum. YOU DID, THOUGH. Anyways, taking another look at my rig, the towel bar is actually attached through the glass door, so unless they've got more than one style of shower door, Bill either has some plugs in his glass door, or is giving a peep show through it.

He is probably just wishing he could put on a peep show and some one would watch!!!!:D :D

ChopperBill

When we ordered our 3055 the showers had seats. Ours came with none. The new one had no shower seat, no drip rail and no towel rod. Next one probably wont have the shower! Will have to use the outdoor shower. Now talk about your peep shows! :eek:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we ordered our 3055 the showers had seats. Ours came with none. The new one had no shower seat, no drip rail and no towel rod. Next one probably wont have the shower! Will have to use the outdoor shower. Now talk about your peep shows! :eek:
Interestingly enough, the same situation was going on in 2006-2007. There were units without the seat in the shower and some with. I may be wrong, but I think there was an issue with suppliers. Heartland went back to the seat when they were available again. Maybe the same deal now???

JohnDar

I don't know about west of the Mississippi, but here in Michigan, male wood nymphs prancing around campgrounds are strictly verbotten.

ChopperBill

Interestingly enough, the same situation was going on in 2006-2007. There were units without the seat in the shower and some with. I may be wrong, but I think there was an issue with suppliers. Heartland went back to the seat when they were available again. Maybe the same deal now???

I belly ache and moan about not having a seat every time I take a shower. The new "11" litature show showers without a seat. So they have their,er, ah seat covered on that one. However, they still show the doors with the towel bars. I looked at a gazillion Bighorns from all years and have NEVER seen one without a towel bar. Not much room in those baths to hang one on a wall. I found bolt on bars but the frames arent big enough on these showers to install one. I can have new glass put in with a towel bar. Glass has to be drilled then tempered so it can get over a $100 plus the bar. I sent dealer pictures and they are going to see if Heartland will send a new door.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
SCARY.....REAL.....SCARY That would really be a run don't walk thing

Last edited:

ChopperBill

Well, no new shower door for us! Dealer got a reply today and said they no longer supply showers with drip rails on doors or towel bars along with no seat in the shower. No drip rail makes a mess. No towel bar makes it inconvenient. I did try to attach a drip rail and there is no way on these doors. They are made to fit right or left and top and bottom can reversed. A door could be made for a towel bar but would be over $100. Renee asked what we could do about it. I said buy a new shower enclosure. She actually said to check into it. After I am done shopping I have a feeling we will be dealing with a dripping shower door and towels draped on hooks. Now if we didn't just get done with paying $1600 in license fees I could buy one fancy shower enclosure!

JohnDar

I wonder if you could make your own drip rail from a piece of square aluminum tubing. Set it in a bed of sealant and screw it to the threshold of the shower. Is there at least a rubber sweep on the bottom of the door? As for the towel bar, you might be able to fasten one to the glass using clear epoxy. Or possibly the clear foam tape they attach rear view mirrors to windshields with.

lhetsler

I have a towel bar on my 2008 Bighorn 3670, but wanted room for more towels. I found a hang over the door three hook towel rack that is bronze and matches the faucet very nicely. I think I may have picked it up at Walmart or Target. The hang over the door model eliminated the need to put holes in the walls and like you said not much empty space on the walls anyway. The drip rail, well my bathroom rugs gets wet, but it dries and my wife complains a little. I do think you could fashion one and use clear caulk to fasten it to the glass.

JohnDar

Yep, there's that, too. We've got a plastic one hanging off the shower wall next to the sink. As for not having a seat, we've got one (or is it more of a shelf), but I tried sitting on it once. Forget it. And I'm only 5'8" and 160 lbs. No padding on the lower real estate and the faucet handles in my neck.

ChopperBill

There is a sweep on the bottom. No problem with water leaking out until you open the door. Then it runs down the glass and all over the floor. I got a small piece of aluminum channel and fabricated a drip rail but there is no way of making it work the way the doors is made. As for the seat. I am 6'3" and 260 so bending over in the tight quarters is a no go for getting the punkys from between my toes. A seat works well for putting your foot on and getting to those toes. Its those little two bit items that disappeared from the shown show models that just aggravate the heck out of me. Priced a shower enclosure at $480. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Built at least 3 times better with larger frame gives a much solider feel includes drip rail and towel bar. OK I'm done now. Time to enjoy the Horn! :)

JohnDar

Ah so! You want a foot rest, not a keister rest. I understand your problem, now. Even at my size, the shower is not exactly roomy. To reduce the water dripping from the door when you open it, consider keeping a silicone squeegee in there to swab the door before you open it. That's what we do in the BH and in our home shower stall. Helps keep the soap streaks from drying on the glass, too.