Computer stations in garage

Desertrat

I am buying a 3950. One of the first things I will have to do is put in a two station
computer work space in the garage. Has anyone done something like this? I am
concerned about up and down movement at the rear of the trailer.

jimtoo

Hi Desertrat,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think there are several that have converted the garage into an office for full time use. I'm sure someone will jump in here soon and give you an answer or their thoughts on it.

Mean while enjoy the forum.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
Up and down while on the road or once set up?

Once set up the Cyclone has a decent set of stabilizer jacks the do a pretty good job.

robnmo

While on the road. I am concerned about a rough ride for computer and printer.

I don't know if this helps, but we keep forgetting to pick up an empty can that's been setting on our garage floor and after hauling it about 500 miles it's still setting in the same spot, yet things in front of the axles seem to relocate themselves occassionally. Almost looks to me the ride might be better in the back than towards the front. But I've been wrong before.

Desertrat

After traveling from Yuma to 29 Palms, and particularly along the east side of the Salton Sea
this past Febuary, I know that the stuff a the rear of my 37 foot 5th certainly moved. If the ride
is as good as you say in a Cyclone I am indeed making the right decision.

porthole

Retired
900 miles total last week and stuff I left on the floor of the garage was in the same place before and after traveling.

landp

The whole reason we purchased the 3210 as to use the garage as an office. But like you I want to build a computer station in the back. My tools are about 200 miles away from me, but once I get the trailer and tools in the same area I am going to build a computer station built along the same shape as the entertainment center up front. I spend way to much time packing stuff just so I can move the trailer. I want to get it to where I can pull in the slides, disconnect the utilities, hook up the truck and leave to a new site.

DW_Gray

Hello Desertrat,

No problem. Here are some pictures of my setup in my 4012. I've traveled over 10,000 miles so far without any travel related problems. I did have to recently replace one of my 3 year old hard drives but I'm sure it had nothing to do with traveling. I purchased a 29 5/8" wide wood desk kit from Wal Mart and attached it to the back wall with two 3 inch angle bracket. One low right corner and one high left corner. I used 2 inch angle brackets on each side at the base of the computer on an oak board that's attached to the floor. I purchased straps from Ace Hardware. Hopefully from the pictures you can get some ideas for your setup.

Also is a picture of my 2 drawer file cabinet with the wine cooler on top.

Oh, one other thing. I have an external WiFi antenna attached to the ladder. I run 25 foot cable though the exhaust vent near the ladder to my computer's internal WiFi card. I can connect to unsecured networks up to a mile away.

Oh one more thing about the ride. A few days ago I left an open bottle of water about 1/4 full on top of the wine cooler. I traveled about 207 miles to my next destination. I would not believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. It was still sitting up there and I don't think it moved more than 3 inches. How about that for a soft ride!

Attachments

• IMG_0746 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0746 (Small).JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0747 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0747 (Small).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0748 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0748 (Small).JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0749 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0749 (Small).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0750 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0750 (Small).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0751 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0751 (Small).JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0752 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0752 (Small).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0754 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0754 (Small).JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0755 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0755 (Small).JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

DW_Gray

And one more thing you may need to consider. There is no heat or AC in the garage. So in the summer I keep the door open and use a small fan to push in AC air in from the living area. And sometimes I turn the ceiling fan on too. In the Winter I use a ceramic heater on the coldest days.

landp

Nice, i am going to use your methods of attaching to the wall and the monitor to the desk until I can build my cabinet

davelinde

I built a removable wedge to level the floor at the back, then carpeted the garage. I use a couple 4' folding tables as my office and have worked all day, every day on my computer for up to 6 months at a time. Then again, we only use portables, so the "ride" is not an issue. We bought the 3210 specifically for the office in the garage idea and it has worked great.