Loose Landing Gear Motor

Two Hands

When I operate the landing gear on my 2007 Big Horn 3055RL I hear a clicking noise. The source seems to be on the port side below the motor that drives the landing gear. A bolt and nut that connects the shaft below the motor is hitting the bottom of the motor as the shaft rotates. This has caused a gouge in the bottom casing of the motor. The motor is loose. I am able to tighten two of the bolts that hold the motor up, but the other two won't tighten so the motor still sags. I don't know if they are stripped or there is a nut on the other side that just keeps turning. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Two Hands, the motor really does not bolt tight. It just kinda hangs on the gear box, which just hangs on the landing hear shaft. Some of us have used plumbers pipe strap, to give it some support, screwed to the wood above it.

Peace
Dave

Two Hands

That sure seems a little unusual. I worry about the gouge eventually working its way through the case and ruining the motor. I may try that strap. Thanks for the advice.

jimtoo

Hi Two Hands,

The motor really moves around when under load. You need to check the bolt that is hitting the motor also, the nut maybe loose or the bolt may be broken. This has happened several times. Replace the bolt with a grade 8 and a self locking nut. I even ground mine down shorter, you cannot have any thing sticking out past the nut or it will hit the motor when under load.

Jim M

vangoes

Two Hands
My 07 3055 has done the same thing since I bought it 4 years ago..........................even after replacing the locknut. Its just that there is not much clearance and when the motor moves around it hits. So far, it has not been an issue (knock on wood).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Two Hands, here is a picture of the strap fix. Works like a charm and still allows for flex in the motor.

Attachments

• Landing Gear Motor Hanger.JPG
    Landing Gear Motor Hanger.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 39