Warning: Window Blowout!

Warning: Window blowout!

I'm posting this in two places (General; Design Ideas) because all owners need to be aware of it, and maybe the factory will do something about it.

We were recently camped in Death Valley NP without hookups on a very hot day with wind gusts up to 35 MPH. No hookups meant no A/C. The roof vents can't be used when it's windy: they bang around and chatter like a pair of hyper squirrels on speed. To keep from suffocating we opened the two windows on the leeward (slide-out) side. A gust of wind came along, raising the larger window behind the sofa so high that the struts were pulled apart, rendering them useless.

I asked Heartland to replace the struts since my M21 is less than a year old, and because I believe the strut failure is a design flaw: wind gusts up to 35 MPH aren't uncommon, and the struts/window should be designed to handle real-world conditions - not just the showroom floor. Heartland refused to replace the struts, stating the damage was due to weather. Duh! I've since replaced the struts myself, at a cost of about $130.

So, owners, keep your windows shut when it's gusty. Heartland factory, you surely can do better: how about it?​

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
While I feel for you I have to take Heartland's side on this. You knew that the winds were high and that is a chance you take. If you were to have put your awning out in the high winds and it ripped off, would you expect Heartland to replace it also?

Mark

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I must agree with Mark. We must assume some responsibility at times and when we take chances, be prepared to pay the price when things break.

shriver63

An awning out in high winds is a stupid mistake. Opening a window or two on a hot day where there is no electric makes sense to me.

RollingHome

I don't think Skinnymike did anything wrong :) He opened 2 windows on a hot day on "LEEWARD" (That's the side away from the wind, the protected side of his RV). He used common sense and would NOT open his roof vents, so why one question if he were to put an awning out, he doesn't appear that stupid to me. There is fault here and it's not his or Heartland's fault. It's the junk that RV suppliers make THEY are to blame. Sonetimes HL is stuck because of sole supplier scenarios. Also, HL has to watch cost for competitive reasons. I blame the window manufacturer for making junk. Skinnymike, I suggest you find out that name and make a stink with them, I believe HL is not to blame. Maybe file a report with BBB. Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I wasn't sure what type of windows are in the Edge so I looked on the Heartland site and now understand they are a full pane jalousie window. Not being in your situation I can't tell you what I would have done. I can't really see where Heartland or the manufacturer of the window should be liable. Wind gusts can do damage to many things and I believe these damages are called accidents. We have to make decisions on how to handle many situations and need to be responsible for that decision. When it's extremely windy, I retract my window awnings which are close in size to the window that you had damaged. The cost to repair your damage certainly isn't enough to justify an insurance claim and in my opinion is not the result of poor or weak design of the window.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I don't think Skinnymike did anything wrong :) He opened 2 windows on a hot day on "LEEWARD" (That's the side away from the wind, the protected side of his RV). He used common sense and would NOT open his roof vents, so why one question if he were to put an awning out, he doesn't appear that stupid to me. There is fault here and it's not his or Heartland's fault. It's the junk that RV suppliers make THEY are to blame. Sonetimes HL is stuck because of sole supplier scenarios. Also, HL has to watch cost for competitive reasons. I blame the window manufacturer for making junk. Skinnymike, I suggest you find out that name and make a stink with them, I believe HL is not to blame. Maybe file a report with BBB. Tom

I agree he did not do anything wrong nor did I mean to imply that he was stupid, my point was that just because something broke doesn't necessarily mean that Heartland should fix it. Things happen that are out of our control and as such that's life. I am not saying that there is or isn't some true manufaturing defect here but it seems too easy to point fingers at the manufacturer.

I personally have gone to the extreme of closing all my slides when wind had gotten so bad. I would rather not take the chance of replacing the slideout covers.

Mark

Zeman

Warning: Window blowout!

I'm posting this in two places (General; Design Ideas) because all owners need to be aware of it, and maybe the factory will do something about it.

We were recently camped in Death Valley NP without hookups on a very hot day with wind gusts up to 35 MPH. No hookups meant no A/C. The roof vents can't be used when it's windy: they bang around and chatter like a pair of hyper squirrels on speed. To keep from suffocating we opened the two windows on the leeward (slide-out) side. A gust of wind came along, raising the larger window behind the sofa so high that the struts were pulled apart, rendering them useless.

I asked Heartland to replace the struts since my M21 is less than a year old, and because I believe the strut failure is a design flaw: wind gusts up to 35 MPH aren't uncommon, and the struts/window should be designed to handle real-world conditions - not just the showroom floor. Heartland refused to replace the struts, stating the damage was due to weather. Duh! I've since replaced the struts myself, at a cost of about $130.

So, owners, keep your windows shut when it's gusty. Heartland factory, you surely can do better: how about it?​

Was that for THREE struts!!?? All windows except the large one on my M22 slide out have 1 strut. The large window has 2. OUCH!! That ranks right up there with the $38 + sink covers. $30-$40 per strut??

I would have done the same given the conditions too. Did the dealer give you any discount considering you just bought a unit that "retails" for 20K+ less than a year ago? My "local" dealer (2hr. away) has left a used car dealer taste in my mouth with the behind the scenes games they play. I'd hate to see the cost of a window!!

Not sure if M21 and M22 have same large window but probably do: it has one strut on each side and 5 thumb latches. So, the cost I mentioned was for 2 struts plus shipping from factory. My dealer is 1500 miles away, so I ordered direct from the factory.

Thanks for all the comments and input, guys and gals. I didn't mean to inspire a replay of the Lincoln/Douglas debates. For the record, I can afford the $130, I agree that it's not worth the effort to pursue Heartland or the window maker any further, that accidents can and do happen, and finally for those in doubt : I am generally considered to be reasonably intelligent.

Mostly, I wanted to alert owners that these super light weight windows do not perform like heavier traditional models and that extra precautions are needed. Okay..... to be totally honest, I wanted to vent a little, too.

Heartland will inevitably be hearing more about this as other EDGE owners experience the same difficulty. They would do well to improve the design - or have a warning in the owner's manual or on the window itself - or both.

Zeman

I didn't mean to get off your thread topic. This is a good heads up. I never thought of this but now I can see how it could easily happen. I get the venting part--my post included a little.....

mikeyy53

We ended up having Max Air covers installed on both roof vents, and had a fantasic fan installed in the front vent. Makes DW happy and our dealer was having a special on the vents and powered tongue jack. On our first campout with our Edge the wind came up suddenly in the middle of the night and sent the awning flying over the top of the trailer. Talk about having fun tring to get the supports back together in high wind wasn't fun. I checked for damage in the morning and everything appeared normal.