Landing Gear

Clint

I've noticed on occasion a clicking noise when the landing gear is being retracted. I have changed the bolts on both ends of the shaft and put on lock nuts on the bolts. I still have the problem though.
A visual inspection while this happens doesn't show anything obvious either.
Any suggestions would be appreciated ............

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Clint. I had some clicking last December before we left for Texas. I thought is might have been because of the cold weather and the clutch was having a problem at freezing temps. When we got to warmer weather it seemed better, but then started clicking again and only got worse. Three months later I was hitching up using two hydraulic bottle jacks. I called Venture Mfg and spoke with them about my problem. I wound up upgrading to a dual motor system. If you go right here, you will see what I did. All is well now and I am glad I did it. Works great.
Just one thought on a potential fix for your clicking. Your clicking could be from some other cause, but if you don't see the bolt or nut on the shaft hitting anything it could be the clutch slipping, especially if you have a lot of tongue weight.

Peace
Dave

Uncle Rog

Stop gears are slipping!!!!

Howdy, I have had the same symptom since day one, the gears finally stripped out in Death Valley two weeks ago! Luckily the rig was high enough to get the truck hooked up. The leg would not retract so I had to pull the whole ODS leg in order to get home.
The horizontal drive shaft, with the vertical gear, was not fully engaged to the horizontal gear on the landing gear drive. So, periodically, it would make that popping sound, the gears are actually slipping and tearing themselves up. Eventually they will strip and leave you as I have described above.
Interestingly the top of the square leg shaft seemed to be blown out on the side where the drive shaft is connected. The other three sides were square and true.
I made a cash deal to fix the leg and get a little body work done, a lot cheaper than insurance.
Anyway I get the rig back today, earlier than promised and under budget!
THE POPPING SOUND IS NOT GOOD, CHECK IT OUT..........