Leak-Hot Water Tank

Dave

Traveling Two
We took the Sundance out for the first time this year and discoveried a puddle under the hot water tank towards the exterior wall. All viewable connections and plastic pipe to and from the tank and kitchen sink are dry. The 1/8 inch piece of panelling under the tank is saturated. From what I can tell, all connections and pipes in the "plumbing" area by the water pump are all dry, it certanily appears the leak is in the presurre relief valve or tank drain pipe, has anyone experienced a leak with these two pipes? After five campers I've never had a leak coming from this area of a hot water tank. I can't get my hand back there so it appears the exterior tank cover will need to be removed for a visual inspection.
Thanks for your inputs, be safe out there!!

MC9

I am working on my 3rd T&P valve. they leaked for one reason or another. I originally had a leak on the bottom fitting to the water htr finally found and corrected. Siliconed the heck out of the outside "tray" . So far it is not looking that good. I don't believe it is high pressure, T&P valves should pop-off at 210. not 140. Oh, I am a plumber so I don't have many excuses.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am working on my 3rd T&P valve. they leaked for one reason or another. I originally had a leak on the bottom fitting to the water htr finally found and corrected. Siliconed the heck out of the outside "tray" . So far it is not looking that good. I don't believe it is high pressure, T&P valves should pop-off at 210. not 140. Oh, I am a plumber so I don't have many excuses.

Since your a plumber I am probably telling you something you already know but here goes. There is supposed to be some air in the top of the water heater to allow for expansion. If the air pocket has fulled with water then the pop-off valve may leak. To correct this, turn off the water at the outside spicket, drain the water heater, then turn on the water supply and refill the w/h. This should replace the air pocket and solve the valve leak. If not you may have a defective valve.

MC9

Jim, you may be right. You don't normally have the problem but, with the travelling you could slosh the air out of the top of the tank. With the plastic lines you wouldn't notice any air hammering. mmmmmm