Pressure for Goodyear G614's

Yianni

I just bought new G614's and am wondering what pressure to run cold. The wheels are rated for 110 psi so the tire guy I had balance them said to leave them at 100 so there's room for heat expansion. If I run them at 110 psi cold, won't they far exceed the wheel rating when they heat up?
Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ya know Louie, thats a good question, and I never gave it a thought. So I just got of the phone with Jennifer at Tredit. I asked the question you did and was told that not only do the tire ratings take into account the increase in pressure when heated up, but the wheels are also rated taking that into account.
So inflate to 110 psi and we are good to go.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This has been discussed a number of times on the forum. There are varying opinions. Some say go by the chart and some say inflate to maximum COLD inflation. There is one big thing to consider. Do you know for sure what the weight is on each individual tire? If not then you must inflate to maximum to be safe. A retired tire engineer for Goodyear advised me to inflate to maximum (110 psi) on the G614 because in an RV your weight will always be changing. Sometimes you will carry water sometimes not, sometimes your gray and black tanks will be totally empty and sometimes not, sometimes you will be carrying more food than others, etc. You are always safe at the max unless you exceed your weight rating. Hope this helps.

lwmcguir

If you have decent suspension then it is always good to go with the maximum rating. If you are using the tire for suspension then you need to upgrade.

TireHobby

The Goodyear G614 is a trailer tire and as such it requires full sidewall (cold) pressure. If in doubt check your owners manual or vehicle placards. If it's an upgrade it still needs full sidewall pressure.

Wheel and tire manufacturers and their representatives (dealers) do not set or recommend tire pressures. Vehicle manufacturers do.

TireHobby

Bobby A

The Goodyear G614 is a trailer tire and as such it requires full sidewall (cold) pressure. If in doubt check your owners manual or vehicle placards. If it's an upgrade it still needs full sidewall pressure.

Wheel and tire manufacturers and their representatives (dealers) do not set or recommend tire pressures. Vehicle manufacturers do.

TireHobby

I wonder if this inflate to max cold is true for all tire manuf. ?? I have talked to 2 fellow Rv'ers recently that have other kinds of tires and they are running at 20psi lower than the whats on the sidewall of the tire, that can't be good !!! I have told them I run at max cold psi on my G 614's

jnbhobe

Bobby; Wait and see how long thrie tires last !!! I have run heavy duty tires on all my RV's and have never had a problem at max air presure. Boy I hope I didn't make a mistake mentioning it ,, Knock on wood LOL Jon

Bobby A

Bobby; Wait and see how long thrie tires last !!! I have run heavy duty tires on all my RV's and have never had a problem at max air presure. Boy I hope I didn't make a mistake mentioning it ,, Knock on wood LOL Jon

Thanks Jon, I'll knock on wood for ya too !! (lol)

lwmcguir

I think pressure expansion is engineered into the wheels ratings. There is a PDF file http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf that show what to run your tire pressures at depending on the carried load. Scroll down the file for the G rated tire part.

We have several stock trailers, flat bed, equipment trailers and so on. They all have 110 psig all the time. Never a problem empty or loaded.

Think about this for a minute. Most tractor trailers and 5th wheels flat beds/cargo run unloaded maybe 30-40% of the time. Do folks think they really drop the pressure until they get loaded up and then take it back to the rated psig?

Put the pressure that is on the sidewall in the tire as long as you have the correct wheel. Cant go wrong that way.

caissiel

It pays to inflate to max tire rating cold pressure because the tires will run cooler for sure. If you underinflate the temperature will rise and possibly never reach the rated tire pressure. So you will just keep heating and eventually blow the tire.

I once blew a tire by having a brake shoe drag causing heat on the rim and I just travelled 30 miles before the blowout. So I trust the max pressure inflation to keep the tire cool.