This crack, is it a concern?

ChopperBill

Found this crack in the side. It just became visible as I am sure I would have noticed it. It definitely was repaired by the factory as you can see some sort of filler in part of it and the gel coat is not quite as shinny in that area as the rest of the siding. Just appears to be a surface blemish but I am not a gel coat expert. Should I refill the crack, and with what? Or does Heartland want to replace the whole side? :eek:

188424002.jpg

busted2341

I Know what I would be wanting done. Take it back and have them fix it right whatever it takes. I would also forward pics to the president of the company with a requested explanation of how a repair like that could leave the factory to be sold without the consumer being told!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Bill
How is the otherside of the coach? Is there a crack starting there? Do you see movement (the crack open or close)? I agree with Timk, this is not an area where you do not want to see a surface crack starting.

Scott

Cracks such a this are typically caused by one of two issues; the first being that the crack could originate from one of the screws that is holding on the abs corner molding that is screwed on in the under-gooseneck area.; the second being from a couple of hard drops. Either way, it is fiberglass and can be repaired fairly quickly and efficiently. If there was fiberglass repair done here before, it obviously should have been done better so that it would never happen again. We can make sure that this is what happens this time.
Get with our service department or your nearest dealer.

ChopperBill

If it got dropped hard enough to crack the fiber glass it had to be done at the factory or the dealer as you can see it was cosmetically patched. Like I said it doesn't appear too deep but, not ever seeing one cracked I am not sure. The other side shows no cracking. First thing that came to mind was a frame coming apart. It sure moans a groans when I am lifting it off the hitch. Scary! Heading out Friday for a week and will keep a close eye on it and will document it with the dealer.

Uncle Rog

CB, keep an eye on that one, some body owes you an explanation of what caused the failure, a good one. And a good shop, if it is not caused by structural failure, can make that look better than new, have a good trip.

ChopperBill

On further investigation I found there was a slight bump in the area when I run my fingers over it. Took out the propane tank and fetched my mirror and a flash light. AW HA! What do I see but some of that green body putty oozing from that area! Went to have a look see at the other side just to make certain it wasn't just something that was suppose to be there. Nothing on that side. Guessing it was factory boo boo of some sort. Probably wouldn't have noticed if the crack did not reappear. It seems to me it would have been easier to replace a small section of gel coat even if it had a seam, as that side is pretty busy anyway with the bedroom slide, storage bay and propane doors. I would have been none the wiser.