Mor/Ryde IS suspension alignment..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am placing this in this form because it is the closest one to the subject. Tires and suspension.

I have some information for those that have Mor/Ryde IS installed on their trailer.

The other day my Pressure Pro (thank you pressure pro) alerted me to a low left rear tire on the trailer. I tried to check to see were the leak was coming from. As I looked at the tire it had worn quite a lot on the inside. The other tires are wearing a little and maybe a bit on the inside but not like the left rear.

I contacted Ben Wiginton at Mor/Ryde and he has been trying to find someone that can handle the alignment. Ben contacted Southern Tire Mart in Jackson MS for me. I took it by and they wern't sure they could do it correctly with the system they have. I contacted Ben and he is trying to find someone else that can align the IS.

Ben is trying to help me find a place along our travels that has the knowledge and equipment fix my problem. I wish to thank Ben for all his assistance. However anyone that has the IS keep a close watch on your tires. If you start to see excessive wear, get with Ben and find a place to align the IS. You may be in an area as I am, that has few people with the equipment to do a proper alignment. I had my IS installed June of 2009.

I changed out the tire for a new one because there was a screw about 3" long beside the tread along the sidewall. That is a bad place and not recommended to be repaired. So I bought a new tire. Something else I found out. I tried to jack the tire up and remove it while at Southern Tire Mart, just for practice. I could not raise the tire off the ground. We had to dig a small hole in the ground to get the Tire Mart's jack where it could raise the tire. I asked Ben what the proper way to raise the tire up to remove it.

This is the instructions Ben gave me.
The best scenario is to pull the other axle up on a set of leveling blocks and then allow the tire with the flat to hang freely or at least with a reduced weight. At that time a bottle jack or low profile floor jack should be able to fit either first under the spring plate or second under the beam assembly and then all you want to do is flex the wheel enough to remove the tire.

I am attaching a PDF of the Service Manual that Ben sent me for those interested. Here is information about jacking the unit up from the service manual. Maybe we can place it in our manual area.

III-A PROCEDURES FOR JACKING UP UNIT
It is permissible to jack up a unit equipped with a MOR/ryde IS only on the Beam Assembly under the Rubber Springs or the frame of the trailer. The most efficient location to raise a trailer is at the frame. Jacks and safety stands should be positioned towards the front and rear portion of the trailer frame. To perform suspension work, tires should be approximately 4” above the ground.

I am submitting this information to assist anyone that has the IS suspension. This is not a gripe or rant.

BC

Attachments

• IS153-003 _Mor-Ryd&#.pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 35

Wharton

I thought the IS suspension could be aligned by anyone who could align tires(as long as they had enough space for the rig). Is there something special about aligning the IS suspension?

lwmcguir

I am sure you have checked the bearings. I have never had to align any of our Torsion axles. Please post the final result of this as to what may have bent or moved the axle. Thanks.

Wharton

I didn't think the IS had any axles.............Just a crossbeam for stabilization...................

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Bob, We have a tire that is wearing the same way. I have gone to one truck repair place locally (Pilot in Huntsville Tx) and they said their alignment machine could only do the larger truck tires and not a 16 inch tire. I am going to try an independent tire dealership in Willis Tx but have not checked with them yet. The people at Mor-Ryde told me they could explain via telephone to an alignment place how to do one. The problem is finding a tire dealership willing to do it. As a last resort we will go to Elkhart to get it done. Seems like we find an excuse to go there every year. The Escapee rally is in Goshen this year anyway.

jmgratz

I saw that one but Fort Worth is 200 miles away. By the time I drive to Fort Worth I could be halfway to Elkhart time wise.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have gone to one truck repair place locally (Pilot in Huntsville Tx) and they said their alignment machine could only do the larger truck tires and not a 16 inch tire. The problem is finding a tire dealership willing to do it. As a last resort we will go to Elkhart to get it done. Seems like we find an excuse to go there every year. The Escapee rally is in Goshen this year anyway.

Yep this is the same problem. They said they also have a different alignment system. That may be the one for big Truck tires..

Maybe we will see you in Elkhart..

BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim, you're missing some nice weather up here, about 55 at night and 75 during the day. Rainy looking today but nothing so far.

cjbearden

Visitor
Come on up Bobcat. Jay and J.D. need somebody to keep them in line. Stella and I need a rest. We are all here through next week. After we get through at the factory, we will go to MorRyde to have everything checked out. C.J.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Guys
Well we are just old and slow. We are headed to Georgia, Florida Keys, then have the Bigfoot system installed and head north toward Maine. May go to Elkhart to see Mor/Ryde.

Catch you some where on the road.

BC

jmgratz

I would love to join yall but can't leave right now due to some appointments at MD Anderson. Maybe later...

lwmcguir

I didn't think the IS had any axles.............Just a crossbeam for stabilization...................

Should probably have said beam, the alighnment guys in this area call them axles since they connect the same way and you have to bend them the same way as an axle to aliign them. Have to look at one of my manual and see what it says.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,

Judy has appointments at MD Anderson on May 5 & 6 also. We will be going there tomorrow afternoon and staying for a week, #137. Stop by or give us a call so we can get together.

porthole

Retired
Should probably have said beam, the alignment guys in this area call them axles since they connect the same way and you have to bend them the same way as an axle to aliign them. Have to look at one of my manual and see what it says.

Alignment of the MR IS is not done by bending axles, tubes, cross members or whatever you call them.

I seriously doubt you can get the same precision of alignment the IS affords by bending axles, which is how most trailer axles are aligned.

From MOR/ryde's manual "any alignment shop that can handle full size trailers with multiple axles should be able to handle the job".
MOR/ryde uses a standard Hunter Laser Alignment unit.

porthole

Retired
This is the instructions Ben gave me.
The best scenario is to pull the other axle up on a set of leveling blocks and then allow the tire with the flat to hang freely or at least with a reduced weight. At that time a bottle jack or low profile floor jack should be able to fit either first under the spring plate or second under the beam assembly and then all you want to do is flex the wheel enough to remove the tire.

I am attaching a PDF of the Service Manual that Ben sent me for those interested. Here is information about jacking the unit up from the service manual. Maybe we can place it in our manual area.

III-A PROCEDURES FOR JACKING UP UNIT
It is permissible to jack up a unit equipped with a MOR/Ryder IS only on the Beam Assembly under the Rubber Springs or the frame of the trailer. The most efficient location to raise a trailer is at the frame. Jacks and safety stands should be positioned towards the front and rear portion of the trailer frame. To perform suspension work, tires should be approximately 4” above the ground.

I can't open this PDF on my laptop, and I checked my manual which does not mention tire changing.

Bob, does the manual you posted show a picture of the jacking location?

Seems to me a picture would be very beneficial.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Porthole
I tried to upload a Word document of the service manual but it is a bit to large to upload as an attachment.

Send me your email and I will send it to you..

BC

BTW.. KId.. How do you clear the upload manager. I have a number of them showing but don't need them any more. I see no way to delete them.