Holding tank shutoff valve leak

aclwbaker

Just returned from 2nd trip in our new 2010 Eagel Ridge. This was first time to not have full hookup. When I removed the cap to attach sewer hose at dump station I made the disgusting discovery that the shut off valve to the black water holding tank and grey water tank #1 both do not complety stop the flow.

I haven't attempted repair yet, is there any adjustment of the amount of travel on these valves?
What are possible solutions ? Since this is second time the trailer has been used would this be a warrenty issue if valves need replaced?
Thanks in advance for all the help

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm usually pretty diligent about making sure all of the tank valves are closed before leaving a site. I always seem to have a few ounces of liquid behind the cap when we arrive at our next stop. One possibility is some debris in the valve at the tank. Another is they may not really seal 100% no matter what. For now I just have a small bucket under the pipe when I remove the cap. It catches the few ounces that come out. The best solution is to have an additional valve at the the RV connection.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you certain that they both leak? I know that if you don't use the black tank flusher you run the risk of leaving some tp in there that could get jammed in the valve. That will cause it to not fully close.
Like Ray, I usually get a spoonfull of liquid when I take the cap off. I just catch it with the hose.
Always use your black tank flusher. IMO

Peace
Dave

noobee

I'm usually pretty diligent about making sure all of the tank valves are closed before leaving a site. I always seem to have a few ounces of liquid behind the cap when we arrive at our next stop. One possibility is some debris in the valve at the tank. Another is they may not really seal 100% no matter what. For now I just have a small bucket under the pipe when I remove the cap. It catches the few ounces that come out. The best solution is to have an additional valve at the the RV connection.

I have the same problem as Alvin... regarding the additional RV connection, please provide more info regarding the installation of one of these... pictures would help.

Thanks CS

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I recommend the same valve. I found that you should "blue glue" them on. Bought 1, drove 500 miles and it was gone. New 1 glued on.

aclwbaker

jimtoo and Bob&Patty thanks for the lead on the screw on valve http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/twist-on-valve/27868 . What is blue glue?

Ray I would need a LARGE bucket to catch all of this. I hooked into the sewer clean out at home and ran the black flusher until I had clear water then closed the valve and still had about 1/4 stream coming out. ditto for the grey. Called the dealer, Route 66 RV in Claremore, OK. They felt they could get repairs under warranty since I have had trailer only two months. Will get a twist on valve anyway.

Thanks to all

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Blue glue is for glueing PVC pipe for sprinklers. Also use the purple primer. Any hardware store has it.

olcoon

We have the same problem on our 2011 Elk Ridge. The first time out, when I went to dump, I got what seemed like gallons out of it, and all the valves were closed! We had never used the tanks, (don't know about the delivery guy!). When I went to dump, almost got drowned! Dealer thought a rubber seal in there was bad, & thought it was in a gray water tank. Went for our second trip this weekend. Stayed in a COE campground that only had water & elec. hookups. When I went to dump this afternoon, got the same thing, and again seemed like gallons! Don't think it's a gray water leaking. The stuff coming out didn't look like dish soap, or used dish washing water. Didn't smell like i either!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I use the same gate valve as Jim uses. Many times there is not enough "fall" or drop to the piping from the tanks to the sewer hose, so a small amount of liquid remains. Then, the movement of the trailer causes this liquid to seek the low point, which is the sewer hose connection, which is now a gate valve, so when I hook up my sewer hose, whatever is in the pipe goes right down the hose.

B

bwwalczak

I have read this post and I am making sure that all connections are correct in production. If you have not contacted our service department for some solutions, please do: 574-262-8030.

Have you contacted a local dealer regarding this yet?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use the same gate valve as Jim uses. Many times there is not enough "fall" or drop to the piping from the tanks to the sewer hose, so a small amount of liquid remains. Then, the movement of the trailer causes this liquid to seek the low point, which is the sewer hose connection, which is now a gate valve, so when I hook up my sewer hose, whatever is in the pipe goes right down the hose.

Jay, While the factory is working on your rig why not let them fix that.

nscaler2

We had a similar problem with our 3055 BH, when new. The dealer that fixed it found the knock-out created from cutting the hole in the tank for the valve, wedged in the opening of the valve. Therefore the valve wouldn't completely shut. They removed the knock-out and replaced the valve with a new one. We haven't had that problem since. Knock on wood LOL!!!