Patio Awning for Door-side Slide-out

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hello Scott,
We own a 2005 Mt Rushmore, which we purchased from Bill Plemmons RV in Rural Hall NC, in November of 2004. We are considering having a patio awning installed on the door side slide-out. Do you know of any reason why we should not do this. Will this cause any damage to the slide-out, will Bill Plemmons be able to match the new awning with the patio awning we currently have on the unit? We saw this done on a Mobile Suites this year at the beach and liked the idea.
Thanks for your help.

Scott

No, I don't know of any reason why you couldn't do this. I'm not sure exactly if you mean a "slide topper awning" or a "patio room awning". I would suggest getting with Dometic about their awning patio room options. Give them the size of your awning (I think it is a 16' awning) and they should be able to work with you (or your dealer could also do this) to get a nice patio room for your coach. I know others have done this.

ST

trdeal

patio room awning

Scott, I mean a patio room awning. I already have the slide-out topper awnings. Thanks for your quick reply

trdeal

Thanks for the link to Dometic. I think I currently have the Imperial 8500 on our Landmark. I would want the same installed on the slide-out. In the Fawn Shadow color, with the hardware matching what I currently have.I think that the 8 ft or 10 ft length would probably work. I have a picture of the patio awning installed on a Mobile Suites that I will take to my dealer in case he has any questions.

jbeletti

Terry,

Looks like the 8 footer weighs about 65 pounds. I am not familiar with slide room adjustments or what impact another 65 pounds near the top of the slide room would be.

The image below is of the door-side of a current Landmark from Heartland's site. This particular image does not have the standard door-side awning on it yet but you can see the mounting track for it.

I'd guess a door-side slide room patio awning would be about 1 foot lower (closer to the ground) than the main awning.

You'd sure have a lot of shade from the sun and shelter from the rain.

jpmorgan on this forum added awnings to both windows on the same slide. Not sure what those weigh in total or if he has seen any ill effects on the slide room.

Ext05large.jpg

trdeal

Yes, it probably would be about a foot lower than the main patio awning and of course being attached to the slide out ,it would also stick out further than the other awning. I would not have the extra awning installed if it will cause any damage to the slide -out. I left Scott a message about this and he says that there should not be any problem. I have also spoken with service and parts at BP and they tell me that they can do the job. Just waiting to finish camping for this season before I take it in.

BluegrassMan

Guy's:

Since you're talking about awnings, Don't you just HATE the spot between the awning and the dining slideout, The rain always makes the steps wet and when you come out the door, you get rained on. I thought of making something to clip on to fill the void, I'll probably never get around to it.

But looking at everything, you can't put the door anywhere else. My friend's Mountain Aire has the door farther forward, it seems.

ct0218

And, what makes it even worse, rain splashes off the handrail in all directions! I have to keep the front of the rig a little higher because if it is perfectly level water tends to pour off the topper right on you.

Tom of Ypsi

While at Camping World yesterday I asked the same question about putting an awning on the slide. I was told no because of the way the slide topper awning brackets are mounted on the slide itself. I thought I saw one on a Mobile Suite also but what I failed to notice is if it had a slide topper. Let us know if it can be done, sure would be nice to have that extra outdoor space.

jbeletti

Tom and Terry,

Here's a link to a photo site of a MS that has a patio awning on the door-side slide and it has a slide topper awning too. The patio awning is narrower than the 2 square upper corner pieces and below the topper awning. Looks like it has been done.

Jim

On Edit: Here's a closer larger image of this slide patio awning - but only the upper corner.

trdeal

Bluegrassman,
My father-in-law took a piece of plexiglass about 2 ft long and about 10 inches wide and clamped it to the awning rail and under the awning to stop the rain from coming in at the door. It seems to work fine.

jpmorgan37

Terry;
Quote from Jim "jpmorgan on this forum added awnings to both windows on the same slide. Not sure what those weigh in total or if he has seen any ill effects on the slide room"

We are very happy with the window awnings. Weight wise, they are, and I'm guessing, not more than 12 and 15 pounds, if that much. The are great when the sun is beating on the door side of the coach. I installed them myself and it wasn't much of a job at all.

John

Last edited:

trdeal

Jim,
After comparing the pictures I have of the MS to my Heartland, I believe that the corner mounting bracket for the slide topper is different on our Landmarks. But I believe that the mounting hardware for the patio awning will still work. I am going to talk to BP again, but I think that if the awning can be installed without damage to the slide-out, We are going to have it installed.I am going to attempt to attach 2 pictures of the MS I saw at the beach. If you cannot open this attachment and you would like to see the pictures Send me your personal e-mail and I will send them to you.

Attachments

• Mail.JPG
    Mail.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Mail0001.JPG
    Mail0001.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 75

jbeletti

Hi Terry,

Picture attachments worked.

I am not at my trailer but the slide topper awning attachments look very similar to the Heartland model. Due to a boo-boo, I (with Jeff Torsrud's help), actually changed one out - including replacement brackets.
Best of luck and let us know how it comes out.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

I am going to print this picture out of the MS and take it to CW and see what they think. I believe CW is trying to tell me is they do not think the awning would be secure enough using lag screws without knowing what is behind the wall where the awning has to be mounted. . :confused: Keep us posted on what you find out.

trdeal

I know that there is alot to consider before doing this job. I sure do not want to do anything that would damage my slide-out. I think that my Heartland dealer should be able to find out from Heartland if the awning would be secure. I will let you know what I find out.

Last edited:

Jack Sims

Awnings

jpmorgan37 said:
Terry;
Quote from Jim "jpmorgan on this forum added awnings to both windows on the same slide. Not sure what those weigh in total or if he has seen any ill effects on the slide room"

We are very happy with the window awnings. Weight wise, they are, and I'm guessing, not more than 12 and 15 pounds, if that much. The are great when the sun is beating on the door side of the coach. I installed them myself and it wasn't much of a job at all.

John

John: When you attached the awnings to the side how did you attach the mounting brackets to the gelcoat sidewalls of the slide. I understand that the slide walls are filled with insulation in lieu of styrofoam on the main body of the coach. Did you use toggle bolts or lag screws and did you find any reinforced framing behind the brackets?

jpmorgan37

Jack;

I just used the screws supplied with the rails and support arms. I'm going by faded memory right now, but I think that the rail screws were about #8 and 3/4 of an inch and the support arms were #10 and 1 inch long. I did predrill all of the holes. They were nothing special and have had no ill effects. We've had them on for almost a year now.

Hope this helps,

John

ct0218

On my awnings I made sure thatI screwed into the aluminum framing, not just the fiberglass except for 2 places. In those two I used a stainless steel toggle bolt designed for use in a marine environment. Should be several sources that deal specifically with boating and mounting objects on fiberglass walls. I found what I needed at West Marine several years ago and were left over from my boating days, but seems that I remember they sold out to someone else so it may be under a new name now. Anyway, it is a typical toggle bolt, blind hole type, that is mounted with nylon straps to work the bolt in then out to the front so the bolt can be inserted. They are stout, and will certainly hold the weight. I used them to mount trolling rods for flat lines near the stern of my boat and they held up fine to the sudden jerking of a fish on (big saltwater varieties). Seems like they were made by Fasco and were called stainless steel togglers.