Goldwing cart is ready to roll

05Winger

I moved the tied down brackets on the cart so I could strap the Goldwing down in the recommended spots on the frame. I loaded the Goldwing on the cart and took the whole works for a ride down the highway up to 70mph. Everything was steady and predictable. I won't normally drive that fast. I also swayed the trailer by moving the steering wheel side to side a couple of times. I could feel the Sundance trailer took longer to step back in line but it was still predictable and did not really show any bad manners. I feel I will like this set up when I want to take the wing with me on camping trips to see the local sites. Just a side note I learned to tie the rear of the bike down very tight or you will bounce the straps loose on rough roads.

Attachments

• Cart with Ramps..JPG
    Cart with Ramps..JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Truck and trailer.jpg
    Truck and trailer.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 534
  • The complete out&#10.JPG
    The complete out&#10.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 4wheeler&5th Whe&#101.JPG
    4wheeler&5th Whe&#101.JPG
    376.7 KB · Views: 333
  • Motorcycle Traile.jpg
    Motorcycle Traile.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 322
  • trailer behind 5&#116.JPG
    trailer behind 5&#116.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 331
  • Goldwing cart1..JPG
    Goldwing cart1..JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 325

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Looks pretty good Jay. Where do you carry the ramp? I was trying to figure out the thing mounted to the "front" of the cart but I think I've got it, It's an adapter to enable the use of the cart with a single receiver. Such as the back of a truck. Good guess eh?

porthole

Retired
Hello Jay,

I would reconsider tieing down the bike "real tight".

If you use quality tie down straps, I am not talking about HD or harbor frieght crap, you should be able to snug down your bike but still allow the bike's suspension to work. Even good straps will require you to periodically need to check and adjust.

I have found that after about an hour or so I will need to adjust the straps and then I might have to snug them up at the first "dog walk" stop. Most of the time after the 2nd adjusment I am good for the rest of the trip. The longest I have gone on a steady ride so using this method is 750 miles, stopping only for fuel and food/bathroom breaks.

I use M&R straps. If you would like less adjustment checks get 2" instead of 1" straps. I use 1" ratchet straps and 1" loops.

http://www.mrproducts.com/index.php?cat=(Moto)%20Ratchet%20Straps

05Winger

Hi Ray,
I carry the ramp in the back of the pickup for now. Your guess was right on the money with the adapter!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had a Suzuki Cavalcade for 18 years. When I finally started to haul it in a trailer, I cinched down the front fork as tight as possible using 4 straps. 2 out at about a 90 degree angle and the other 2 towards the front at about a 45. The rears were cinched but loose in order to let the rear suspension work. This was good for me but that was with the bike pointing in the same direction it was being towed. I wonder if towing it "sideways" may require a different method. Just something to consider. Best to be safe. Ya have to consider that beast weighs close to 1000#.

RollingHome

Have any of you have any "bad" experience with getting stopped by the HWP ? It's looks safe and it looks good... but, the little tin God of "NO" likes to roar sometimes... That could be a pita... Just wondering because it looks inviting for my golf cart.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Nice job on the trailer. I moved my spare under the unit, something to consider to offset the lighter pin weight. I wonder what your pin weight is now, under #1400?

05Winger

Tom,
I just got it set up and have not taken the trailer and cart anywhere yet. My first trip is planned to Wingding in Des Moines. My total length is about 56 feet so I am not expecting to have any problems with length and it is considered a ridged mount. I don't expect to have problems with states that don't allow tandem towing.

05Winger

I can tell I lightened the hitch weight going down the highway with GW on the back. The truck does feel a little bouncer. I have been debating about building a rack to carry the ramp under the front of the trailer to move the weight up front. The ramps are about a 100#. Do you have pictures of your mounting set up?

Hey Winger, how about some info on the articulating single point wheel set up.

Hey Winger, can you share some info on the trailer itself?

Last edited by a moderator:

05Winger

The size of the cart is 4'x8'. It was made by Crystal Welding in Minnesota. The two wheel swivel can hold 3,000 lbs . I liked this set up for an extra safety benefit if a tire goes flat. I am very happy with the work Crystal welding did on the cart and the hitch set up. The hitch work on the 5th wheel trailer was very neat and well done. I purchased the two wheel swivel from Crystal Welding. If you would like more information on the swivel wheel here is the web site. http://www.crystalwelding.com/

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Jay,

I didn't see a report on how things went with your trip Wing Ding. How did the trailer perform on the trip. Right now, I'm camped at the Virginia GWRRA State Rally in Salem, Virginia and there is a rig here (SOB) with a single wheel trailer similar to yours with a Wing on it. I like your point of two wheels because of a blow-out, but just wondered if it pulled alright on a "long" trip.

Keith

05Winger

Yes, I am very happy with the set up and it is much cheaper than a toy hauler. The cart does not seem to add any bad manners to the trailering. I do notice it is back there with the bike because it will take longer for the back of the trailer to come in line if you sway the trailer. We came back in wet weather and still did not notice any loss of traction or ill manners then either. I did have to plan some time cleaning the bike. It does get dirty and grimey on hte back of the trailer.

caissiel

I pulled 2000Lbs cars on a tow bar behind my previous 5th wheel. I never noticed any difference in driving with them behind.
This trailer is to long so I will not do it but I was doing some thinking......

What would happen if there was a 4 swival wheel cart designed with 4 point attachement attached to the rear of the trailer and alow the cart to only apply push and pull to the rear of the trailer like a tow bar but with 4 anchor points instead of 3.

This would not put any weight on the trailer and would be guided freely behind the trailer.

hmmmm was doing more thinking It would possibly tip forward on a real hard braking. Not so great of an idea. Any more ideas.

Last edited:

05Winger

They do have the four wheel cart like you are thinking. They actually designed them for the Smart car.