Gear Box on Landing Gear Squeling ?

rmchad

Heartland Owner
We had our Sundance out for its 3rd trip since we got it -- nice weekend of camping in a gorgeous campground south of Colorado Springs, CO (Mountaindale -- http://mountaindalecampground.com/ -- higlhy recommended, David is the manager and very professional).

When it was time to tear down and head home today, I extended the front landing gear and heard a loud squeal from the gear box. It lasted for about 10 seconds and then the fuse blew. The landing gear did extend. I tried another fuse with the same result. I had the opportunity to try raising the Sundance with the hand lever -- sure tired me out!

Any ideas what a squealing sound means? Should I take the gear box a part and see what is left inside or just take it to the dealer for a repair?

Thanks,
-Chad

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never heard any reports of the landing gear "squealing" before. There have been owners with problems of overextending or retracting too far and blowing the fuse but no squeals. I would suggest the dealer option. Let us know what you find. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Ray that squeeling is a new one. Any animals up in there? Missing any kids?:):)
There is more to the system than the gear box. There are gears in the landing gear legs as well.
Instead of having fun cranking the gear by hand, next time use a coulple of hydraulic jacks to take the load off before cranking.
Of course it never hurts to look around.
But if you are under warranty, the dealer option sounds good.

Peace
Dave

rmchad

Heartland Owner
I'm always glad to discovery something new :) I have read about the "clicking" in other forum posts, but I never heard that. The landing gear worked fine (although I have blown the fuse a couple times when I was not paying enough attention to how far I retracted) setting up -- maybe the Sundance was trying to tell me it was not ready to go home :)

SilverRhino

We had our Sundance out for its 3rd trip since we got it -- nice weekend of camping in a gorgeous campground south of Colorado Springs, CO (Mountaindale -- http://mountaindalecampground.com/ -- highly recommended, David is the manager and very professional).

When it was time to tear down and head home today, I extended the front landing gear and heard a loud squeal from the gear box. It lasted for about 10 seconds and then the fuse blew. The landing gear did extend. I tried another fuse with the same result. I had the opportunity to try raising the Sundance with the hand lever -- sure tired me out!

Any ideas what a squealing sound means? Should I take the gear box a part and see what is left inside or just take it to the dealer for a repair?

Thanks,
-Chad

Are you sure the "squealing" was coming from the gear box? Not actually hearing it....first thing that came to my mind was metal binding on metal.

Fully agree with you on Mountaindale RV Park ... Great place!