Mor Ryde suspension

My wife and I will be retiring in 2007 and will be going full-time. Heartland RV's are on our list of prospective retirement "homes." I'm wondering if MorRyde IS suspension is available as an option on Heartland RV's.

Scott

We do not offer that MorRyde system (IS) on our coaches, we currently use a different MorRyde system. The IS is a great system, but to get it, you would need to arrange it with MorRyde (which some owners have done in the past to upgrade their suspensions).
Some dealers or authorized service centers will also swap suspensions out for MorRyde.

Scott,
Thanks for the prompt answer. Is the reason that you don't offer MorRyde IS because you build your own frames, or that your frame builder doesn't offer that option?

Scott

Actually, neither of those are the reason. The reason simply is, we chose the other Mor/Ryde system for our coaches for this model year and that is the one we use. Is the IS nicer? Yes, but so are italian marble floors. We do our best to offer quality products with quality suspensions and the MorRyde system we do use is a great system of the length and weight of our coach. We can't offer that most expensive suspension system and stay competitive with our pricing. Obviously, we can't make everyone happy, but we do offer a lot for the money.
ST

Scott,
Again, thanks for your reply. I really do think that the IS system is superior to all others (my opinion of course) and it is an important option to me.

I respect your choice as a company to provide options that you feel are in your best interests, financial or otherwise. I hope that you may change your mind on the IS in the next year, as Heartland has been on our list of possible fifth wheels to consider for our retirement "home" when we go full-time in the winter of 2007-08.

Scott

Suspension

I guess I would just encourage you to make sure you base your purchasing decision on the overall value and design features of your future "home" - not just what brand or model of a certain element of that home is. Especially an element that can be changed or upgraded for a fraction of the overall cost of the home.

I say that, but in reality I still know of a couple who loved everything about the Landmark (construction; storage; docking center; hardwood cabinetry; Corian/granite countertops and more..) but ended up purchasing something else (inferior in my opinion) because of the brand name of the toilet we had. True story.

Hopefully, there will be enough design features and benefits to the design and function of the Landmark that will keep it in the running for your purchasing decision.

ST

jpmorgan37

CampingCaptain;
I don't mean to butt in on a "ask the factory" but would like to share a little of our experience with the suspension question. We started with a 3/4 ton GMC HD and the Landmark Grand Canyon with the MorRyde suspension, not the Independent Suspension. I chose not to get the TrailAire pin option because I hadn't felt a need for that on previous fifth wheels. I complained to the factory because I felt that the ride was too harsh. I also talked to MorRyde and went to the factory to have the suspension checked. I ended up getting a MorRyde pin box which made a big difference in the "chucking" on rough roads. My next move was to put Firestone Air Bags on my GMC which also helped the ride. My last move was to buy a truck with the Link Air Suspension system and it rides like a dream. Do I need the IS? Not at all. Our GC is loaded for full time travel and with good packing and balancing the weight as much as possible, it rides very well. I believe that most of the problem that we were experiencing was being transmitted from the tow vehicle to the coach. The TrailAire hitch will help some of that, though it won't help with the chucking. MorRydes hitch doesn't help with the bounce or shock absorbsion but does great for the front to back and side to side shock.
Again, sorry to butt in but just thought you might be interested.

John

phranc

Hi Camping Captain ,, To further comment on JP Morgan views . We have the little brother to the Land Mark( Big Horn) and ours was built pre Mor Ryde and other than a percolator pot that moves almost all the time that is stored in the overhead cabinets over the dining table and a fussy kitchen drawer that used to open from time to time , we have had absolutly no problems. the coach rides very well and smooth behind the Dodge. Adding fresh water or having full holding tanks seems to make no difference in the good quality of the ride.Now we fixed the coffe pot by blocking in a little better and I bought a roller latch from Lowes ($ 1.19 and 2 screws) to make sure the drawer doesn't open..All in all I am satisfied with the ride and it seems that Heartland has a well balanced frame..
Why not try the Mor Ryde and see if it meets your expectations, If not it may not be any more to upgrade after the fact than an option may be on another unit.

jpmorgan37,
No need to apologize for adding your thoughts. I always appreciate hearing from those who have experience with a particular brand and model of a 5W that we are considering. I'm not sure though, why Heartland couldn't make available as a cost item, the option of a MorRyde IS suspension. That way, anyone who didn't want to lay out the extra bucks could go with the RE suspension while still allowing those who prefer the IS the option to get it.

phranc,
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read in another forum that the IS suspension costs about $3000 to have it added after purchase. It should be a lot cheaper to have it put on in place of the RE at the time of construction as it would only cost the difference between the two types. Of course, this is based on a two axle model and we like the three axle Monticello.

jpmorgan37

I talked to MorRyde about adding the IS and they said they would give me an allowance for the suspension on my coach. My recommendation would be call Gary Bailey at MorRyde and talk to him to get the straight scoop. They do it right at their factory in Elkhart and it doesn't take that long. I do understand Heartlands position and for those of us that want something different, we just step up and do it. I had MorRyde's Torsion Bar suspension on my previous 5W and loved it, but some people that had it, hated it. So it is. The RE suspension and my Link air suspension do the job very well.

John

jpmorgan37 said:
I talked to MorRyde about adding the IS and they said they would give me an allowance for the suspension on my coach.
Now, that is very interesting. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

randes

More On The IS Suspension

Earlier this year when I first was looking at Heartland Trailers, I looked into the Mor/ryde Systems to see what they offered. The IS System besides being an independent suspension for each wheel, also offers Disk Brakes in place of Drum. For details see:
http://www.morryde.com/php/products/suspensions/towables/index.php I didn’t inquire as to the cost, but it seems that disk brakes on a FT coach makes a lot of sense.