Customer Service Experience (very long)

robnmo

I just want to relay our experience with Heartland and our 1st ever RV. In our new 3612 we noticed about a 1/2" gap between the floor and sidewall. We ended up being referred to Heartland by our dealer, here's how it went. Heartland set up a date (at our choosing) to come back to the factory. Well in the mean time we lost our FM antenna, a window blind draw cord bracket came loose, and we noticed about a 1" by 1" tear in the bottom of the bathroom pocket door was torn loose, then on the way up to Heartland at the campground the night before the same pocket door wouldn't open all the way, a screw in the track came loose and was hitting one of the rollers. We met David (customer service) at 8am, he took us straight back to the factory w/ his file, we back into their "sick bay" and told David about the antenna, and bathroom door not opening, also mentioned the blind (but had intentions of fixing the blind draw cord ourselves). We made no mention of the bathroom door chip in the bottom corner (to us we just figured we'd put a bit of glue on it when we got home). We weren't even unhooked yet and Bill (I hope I got your name right back in the plant) and a couple other workers came out with tools and equipment in hand and started to work. While they worked we asked about where we could get keys, a factory tour, and misc other questions for David (who by the way was still with us all the way) he said he'd check on everything. David said he'd call about a tour, and when the unit was done. We went to Lowe's (less than 3 mile away) and within 45 minutes got a call from Brad (I think in sales) he set us up for a plant tour for after dinner. About 30 minutes later David (Hilliker) called us to see if we had been contacted about a tour..........yep already done. About 2 hrs later David called, asked again about our tour and also that he had contacted Terry (I think) about picking up a part for another Owner in our area to bring back for him, also said he would meet us at the plant before we do our tour, to go over our coach, sign off on it, make sure all repairs were done to our satisfaction. No problem. We went back to the plant prior to David getting there (our plan) we wanted to inspect on our own, not only was everything repaired, but we noticed the bathroom door chip wasn't there anymore (figured they mustve reglued it). We did notice when they reinstalled the door side cargo door frame it was a little too far to the rear and overlapped the trim some. David showed up, we talked about the repairs, said everything was fine, except the cargo door frame, he took a look, agreed it wasn't right, summoned Bill back, and in a matter of minutes, Bill, another gentleman (can't remember the name, all I know is he's a shovelhead owner) reworked the cargo frame, and accompaning trim, then had a young lady reseal everything and Bill kept apologizing that he missed that when he rechecked everything..........not a problem, we missed it our 1st time over also. We thanked Bill, David and all for fixing the bathroom door (since it wouldn't open) Bill sorta smiled and said he wasn't sure if we knew there was a bad spot at the bottom corner but he saw it so they just replaced the entire door with a brand new one..........again we never even mentioned the spot in the door, it was seen by them and instead of ignoring it, they just DID IT. We asked Bill about the FM antenna, they seem to be an issue, he showed us the shaft of the old one, it was broken, said didn't know if it happened in transit, or where, didn't matter he had a new one up there.............and it's still there after getting it home. ;) Daivd said he checked on our keys, and dropped extra's in our hand............keys PLUS keys. The wife had asked about cleaning the windows, and roof, David printed out manufacturing cleaning instructions for us, and handed them over. We went and met Mike (Alpin I hope is the right name, I'm horrible with last names). Mike gave us the tour of the century through the plant, explained each and every step, we discussed floorplans, ideas, he even stepped out into our unit and looked around, and talked. From there we went back to the main office, picked up some parts for another owner that another service rep (Terry Hayes I think) was taking care of for us to bring his parts back to him.....also another very personable, and pleasant individual and thanked us for bringing parts back for a customer.

From the time we walked in the door on Dexter Dr to the minute we pulled out of All Pro Drive to head home, we were met with nothing but smiles, and an "I CARE" attitude. I know this is a long post, but to the wife and I and in this day and age the way we were treated by EVERYONE at Heartland is absolutely rare. Workers in plants that when they see something not right they fix it without being told? UNREAL I know we can't name everyone, but to David Hilliker, Mike (Alpin), Brad, Terry (Hayes), Bill, Mr. Shovel head owner, and all the others at Heartland from the gal in the front office to the individuals in all the buildings, our hats off to all of you, and a huge thank you. They're all unbelievable. I'm sure glad we saw our Cyclone on the lot the day we went to buy.......another brand. ;)

jbeletti

Rob,

Thank you for your patience with us and for your kind words. I am pleased that you got to experience first hand that Heartland is the RV manufacturer with a heart for your satisfaction.

Happy camping.

Jim

Mike Aplin

I want to say how much I appreciated spending time with you out in the plant yesterday giving you the factory tour. I can't tell you how much your kind comments mean to me. For the record, you were very close to getting my last name correct. It is Aplin but if I had a dollar for everytime someone spelled it Alpin, I could probably retire LOL. I also wanted you to post the name of the fastener that you used in your garage one more time for me because I loved the way that you were able to stowe your ladders and misc. items. Take care and be safe. We really are glad that you joined the Heartland RV family. Take care, Mike

robnmo

I want to say how much I appreciated spending time with you out in the plant yesterday giving you the factory tour. I can't tell you how much your kind comments mean to me. For the record, you were very close to getting my last name correct. It is Aplin but if I had a dollar for everytime someone spelled it Alpin, I could probably retire LOL. I also wanted you to post the name of the fastener that you used in your garage one more time for me because I loved the way that you were able to stowe your ladders and misc. items. Take care and be safe. We really are glad that you joined the Heartland RV family. Take care, Mike

Ooopss Sorry bout that.........that's why I go by Rob instead of Robert, I'll mess up my own name if it's over 3 letters. ;)

The fastener we used is a molly jack nut (similiar to a molly bolt but more secure), we used the 10/24 size. They're made for thin wall/metal installation, and we use them for speed rails installed on coolers in bars, which attach to a very thin ga metal skin. If they can stand up to bartenders slamming bottles into speed rails figure they'll out live me to hold ladders n such to a wall. Only issue is unlike a molly bolt you need to pick up a tool much like a pop rivet gun to install them (we got ours at Harbor freight for a whopping $6.00) and you want a good grade jack nut so you don't damage threads when installing it.........and we topped it off with a stainless steel bolt. Big thing on installation is to not squeeze the tool too hard so you don't collapse the threads of the jack nut.

Attachments

• Jack nut..jpg
    Jack nut..jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 12

Yianni

Glad to hear about your great experience. Just curious though,what was determined by the factory as the cause of your failure and what was the fix?

musicman

We too have had a WONDERFUL relationship with people from Heartland. Daric Fail, Kevin Finn, Jim Beletti to name a few were so nice and friendly while we were in the process of selecting and ordering our new Big Horn. I have talked to Customer Service and the lady (don't remember her name) was so nice and helpful also. I cannot say how proud I am to own a Big Horn (1st 5th wheel). I do realize that no manufacturer is perfect, but in my mind Heartland is trying very hard to be as friendly and helpful as they can. Thank you Heartland. From my heart to yours....

RollingHome

Another name or the generic name for the "molly jack nut" is a "RIV NUT". They are installed with a rivet tool and available thru most industrial hardware supplies such as McMaster Carr. They come from China too and most of these are usually junk... At least the ones I've used. Tom

robnmo

Another name or the generic name for the "molly jack nut" is a "RIV NUT". They are installed with a rivet tool and available thru most industrial hardware supplies such as McMaster Carr. They come from China too and most of these are usually junk... At least the ones I've used. Tom

Tom

Good point, I agree 100% same experience here, the china made will either cross thread, not thread, or the threads pull out on install.

ChopperBill

Glad went well! I also am having good experiences with our new Heartland. Its great to see a "happy post"! Seems all the "I gotta problem" posts get most of the press time.

robnmo

Glad went well! I also am having good experiences with our new Heartland. Its great to see a "happy post"! Seems all the "I gotta problem" posts get most of the press time.

We kinda live to see the forest instead of the trees. Life is just WAYYYY too short. :D Sides, I don't care WHAT you buy, if it's manufactured it's gonna have issues from time to time...................wanna talk Dodge 6.7 recalls and check engine lights?...........the trees are starting to show up instead of the forest!!!!! :rolleyes: LOL