Portable Solar panels?

Teresa

My husband and I are new to having a 5th wheel....lovin' it so far. We have purchased 1 solar panel and the hubby is requesting if anyone knows where there may be a web site to show him how to wire multiple panels together and wire to RV.

Also, I have read many posts where people are attaching them to the RV....we are considering making them portable, on some kind of stand, so that we can follow the sun Any thoughts or comments? Any experience with this?

And last, where would you recommend finding amp gauges or a gauge to monitor battery charge levels. Any and all comments and thoughts are appreciated.

RollingHome

Teresa, I can answer your questions regarding PV (Photo Voltaic) Cells aka solar cells. Solar cells produce varying amounts of DC (Direct Current) voltage, dependent upon sun intensity, cleanliness of panels etc. How they are wired depends on the quantity and output of the individual panels. For example, all the rage today is solar assist for homes and buildings. These solar arrays are regulated at approximately 240 VDC, way more than a typical RV needs. Many stand alone panels such as the single one you have will generate enough voltage to damage a battery and hence they must have a regulator installed in the circuit to keep the voltage output in a desired range, typically no more than 14.5 VDC. Any of the sellers will gladly give you a wiring diagram, so can I "IF" I know the specifics of your cells and how many you will be installing. You want the final voltage for a type set up you are describing to be as close to 14.5 as possible. This is attained by wiring in series and parallel. Series gives more voltage, parallel gives more current or amperage.

Portable stands are available and can be a DIY project. The array needs to face south at a 45 degree angle. This changes with local and season. Make your stand with the ability to be adjusted to track the sun. Find south with a compass, then you have to adjust for magnetic variation for your local. Here's an easy way to find magnetic variation for where you are, call a small local airport, pilots HAVE TO KNOW the Mag. Var. Once you find this out you add or subtract depending on what you were told to find true south. For example, I live in SE PA. the MV here is 12 degrees west. West is best and east is least ??? I add the 12 degrees to find south. So when the compass is pointing to 168 I am at south for my solar panel direction. Now keep in mind this is for maximum efficiency, you can also get by with just using the compass and a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter). Just watch the voltage spike the highest when you are most in-line with the sun. Put the volt-meter between the PV cells and the regulator. You can even move the array as the sun moves. It all depends on size and mount. Putting the PV Cells on an RV roof is the least efficient way to utilize solar generated power. A non adjustable fixed mount is next least efficient, even if it is adjustable.

Battery charge monitors. A simple one could be found at your favorite RV supply store. My RV has a simple LED bar graph that works OK. You can also get a portable unit with 2 short wire leads at your RV store. Yet a carbon pile (loading resistance type) can be bought at harbor freight for a small amt of $. If you really want the best hit me back.

You ask, "any experience with this" Yes, I am involved in Photo Voltaic Research at inception level, we are developing new and better composite components to increase PV efficiency and life expectancy. Our solar array at the lab is fixed, has several hundred 3 x 4 panels and covers several acres of land. Hope this helps. J Tom

ChopperBill

I bungee mine to a 4 foot aluminum step ladder. Very light and portable to follow the sun. You can not believe the difference that makes on a solar panel output. My controller is also portable and mount in a box. I use one 130 panel and had 4 6v batteries and went 10 days with no generator charging the batteries.
331031888.jpg
313359676.jpg

Teresa

Wow you guys....great information. I will share this with the hubby as he understands the technical part way better than I do. Love the bungee cord/ladder idea, thank you retired4fun. Tom...thanks for the great information...all of this my husband will understand and I know that he will put this information to great use. I will keep you guys updated.

jimtoo

Wow Teresa,,, I think you hit a gold mine of information.

Our Heartland Family is the best....

Tom and Bill,,, Thanks for your help...

Jim M

Teresa

Jim: You are so right. I am new to this group and I am already loving all the welcoming information. We are getting to take out the new "toy" (5th wheel) out the end of May to an archery shoot. Just excited to get out in it again. Hubby has not had a chance to go over all the information yet...long work hours...he is hoping to this weekend. But again....thank you guys for the wealth of information and hey, if we have questions...I now know where to go.

I bungee mine to a 4 foot aluminum step ladder. Very light and portable to follow the sun. You can not believe the difference that makes on a solar panel output. My controller is also portable and mount in a box. I use one 130 panel and had 4 6v batteries and went 10 days with no generator charging the batteries.
331031888.jpg
313359676.jpg

Wow ChopperBill. You've got a pretty neat setup. Could you maybe elaborate on the details of what you have and where you got it? I'm sure many more will be interested in what you've done. I'm reading that having a portable and adjustable panel on a stand or a ladder(genius!) gets the most effective use of whatever panel(s) you have. I always thought that the batteries you're supposed to use are 12v. How does that all work? Thanks

jimtoo

He has hooked two 6v batteries in series, - to+, to make a HD 12v battery... he did this two times so he had two HD 12v batteries, then he hooked the batteries in parallel, - to - and the + to +, of the two setups and now still just has 12v, but with lots of staying power. Hope this helps.

Jim M

He has hooked two 6v batteries in series, - to+, to make a HD 12v battery... he did this two times so he had two HD 12v batteries, then he hooked the batteries in parallel, - to - and the + to +, of the two setups and now still just has 12v, but with lots of staying power. Hope this helps.

Jim M

Thanks Jim. Does setting up double the 6v batteries instead of just using 12v's carry any added advantage?

jimtoo

Thanks Jim. Does setting up double the 6v batteries instead of just using 12v's carry any added advantage?

You bet! If your going to be boondocking much, that's the only way to go. For instance a normal 12v battery may have a life of say,, 4 hours use... a good deep cycle 12v,,8 hours,, 2 deep cycle 6 volts is series.. may have 16 hours use and double that again for 4 6v hooked as described. The hours I listed are just for comparison. Some batteries may do better,, some may not do as good. But that is just kinda a simple way of looking at the benefits of better deep cycle batteries.

I know there are others on here that can give a better explanation of use and kind of batteries.

Jim M

ChopperBill

Duramax, The charge controller is a GoPower. There are better more efficient controllers than mine but I was a rookie at solar when I made it up. My brother, the wood butcher, made the box for it. It is made to mount to a wall but I wanted it portable. I hooked up some alligator clips for it to attach to the battery. A simple aluminum ladder is used for the panel. I can use the ladder for, well, what ever I need a ladder for if needed. I can move it around to follow the sun or even fold it and lay on the ground. Anything to get a straight shot to the sun. My panel is rated at about 6.5 amps. and with this set up I have seen 8.5 at times. Solar panels if not pointed directly at the sun don't put out there potential. That is why you see folks using lots of panels. With my set up I get the most I can out of one panel. Sure did work out for me.